took my 78cb750k for FIRST ride!!!

zerocks!
Been lurking forever...gotta share my project complete minus the seat...

I just rode this weekend, a lil around town, nothing major.
I've never ridden a motorcycle...probably 15 years since I was on a lil dirt bike...I'm learning how to ride on this old bike, and its INCREDIBLE!!!

So...these are my carbs!! Everybody has so many opinions on everything relating to carbs...
I didn't do anything but take the carbs off, pulled the tops and bottoms, carb cleaner, throw back together and back in....
Yup....put PODS on em, well they came with them...
Yup...it wouldn't start.... iridium plugs... still wouldn't run... before I noticed so many electrical tape jobs, which look cool...
I could tell they just needed restriction...BAAM! trusty bandana over the pods!!
RUNS EXCELLENT!

I did this fuel tank with a lil paint maker...it'll chip and fade, but it's gnarly...I like ratty $hit that runs strong and hard!!

Next hack rookie part...ha, my seat...this is a SKATE BOARD I had around my shop at work, instead of walking thru the warehouse :)
I cut one tail off....then the other...threw heavy ass door hinges on top hold the tail on..
Then a10$ memory foam entry mat from big lots...
Cut the foam and fake leather to fit the seat, adhesive spray and staples...
Couple holes in the frame, around the battery box, and 3 long bolts hold it on snug...it lifts on/off, front just under the tank,I should have took some flicks with it on, ha!

one last pic fa now just cuz in pumped haha

Might as well ask while I'm posting up today...

When I was out this weekend,I stopped by my uncle's and he was checking the charging system...said its not working!!
It was registering like low 11's on whatever volt meter thing he had...
I got a brand new battery and for now I'm hoping I can get her back and forth to work (30 mins) and just putting around learning the ropes! Anybody know how long you can cruise on a battery?! Ha!
I rode at least 30 mins and she didn't seem like she was gonna die when I made it home..

Almost positive it's the stator and rotor..or wheel/stator, whatever... couple hundred bucks, new and some hours work with my uncle...

Thanks for looking bro's...gonna take the first attempt across town to work tmw...
I'll never stop riding, worked on this bike about a year doing tons of this I SHOULD have documented with pics..
Learning to ride this bike is rad, except for killing it in first a few times, shifting, stopping, corners and giving it Hell top go from 0 mph to 50mph is natural...
Yup I wear a helmet, ha!

Later everyone, thanks again for checking my rookie work out...
78 cb750k
first bike! adrenaline junkie...
Columbus Ohio
guitars,graffiti and gears!!!

Re: took my 78cb750k for FIRST ride!!!

Neat bike, I love the pin-striping. When you checked the charging, did you rev the engine? These bikes do not charge until they are turning 2,500 RPM. Also the charging system on the SOHC bikes is as reliable as a sledge hammer. It's the DOHC bikes that have the suckie charging system.

Re: took my 78cb750k for FIRST ride!!!

zerocks!
Thanks TOOLS, I actually did that with a plain ol' paint marker!!... I was a local graffiti writer for years, yup I was one of those kids wrecking local freeways and buildings at night,but getting into bikes looks like I should see how far I could push pin striping, never tried before, threw that on in less than 5 mins, playing around, so again THANKS MAN!!

actually my tach cable is shot, so I ride by ear and feel on the rpm's not sure what we were revving it up to when checking...
A joint here called rice paddy said they'd check and diagnose my charging system, I have an agm battery, bought a lil trickle charger for it...I ran like 30 mins to work, let charge like 6 hours (slow day at work!) And another 30 mins home...I didn't check that battery when I got back, but I know the system isn't shot!

....I like hearing that the sohc charging systems are so reliable!
If it is going out, how long can you ride on a battery!? Hahaha!
I'm just trying to keep riding here & there till I scrape up the $$ for the parts...

Tmw it'll be fully charged again...  so I guess I'll start her up and use my old volt meter to monitor it...
Should it be FULLY jumping back to 12+ volts or is it a gradual climb in the recharge over time, considering if it's above 2500rpm's??

Maybe I made that sound stupid.... basically what's the amount of juice that should return at 2500 rpm's??

In any case, if I can ride 30 mins or so, maybe it's not the stator...regulator maybe??
If I can ride that long and I don't really feel like it's dying maybe something needs adjusted?? (Those are straight up questions, cause I'm not sure!!)

Ha ha! Went to/from work today! Only my second time on a bike, I made it up to 60 mph! Faster than it sounds, for my rookie ass!!
78 cb750k
first bike! adrenaline junkie...
Columbus Ohio
guitars,graffiti and gears!!!

Re: took my 78cb750k for FIRST ride!!!

You can download the factory service manual for free from the manual link at the top of the home page here. It has detailed instructions on testing the charging system. The volts should climb as you rev the engine, and get to around 13-14 volts. The only problem I have ever encountered with a SOHC charging system was the stator wires were unplugged behind the shifter/transmission cover. If you are riding with a fully charged battery, and have the lights on, you could probably run 30-45 minutes with out the charging system working.