1973 cb450

phil
Does anyone have a running engine for a 1973 cb450 for sale?
my engine is blown and seized up. I'm not a mechanic so the most I'd be able to do is swap one out(with help)
I keep checking craigslist and ebay, but to no avail.
Thanks
Phil

Re: 1973 cb450

Have you looked at http://www.sohc4.net? I know they focus more on the 4 cylinder SOHC bikes, but you may get lucky there.

I wish you luck.  The older these bikes get, the more rare the parts are.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
That bike with the original engine is worth something.
Keep it all together.

And what proof is there that the engine is "blown up"?
Someone told you that?

Is there a hole in the block?
Is it seized from just sitting? That is not really seized it is more like rusted together.
How many miles are on the bike? 20,000 miles is nothing for those bikes.

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
I will say it one more time...

All you young guys have a motorcycle that won't work, and the FIRST
thing you think about is getting another engine.

It is time to start learning how to fix things.

OR just go back to your computer and play games and just push buttons to get results.
Go buy a tool box and some tools. FIND OUT why the engine won't work.

Maybe it is just stuck from sitting and being neglected. Get involved.

Sorry to be hard on you but com'n!
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

phil
I appreciate being called a young guy,but it ain't so. I'm 65 years old , I've been riding for 45 years and this is just one of the 29 bikes I own or have owned. So thanks for your comments, but I still need another engine!

Re: 1973 cb450

I have a CB 450 engine myself that is locked up. All the covers on it are chrome, and it is very pretty. I am planning on gutting it, to lighten it up, and make a glass topped coffee table out of it.

Re: 1973 cb450

Donald, not all of us are bike mechanics.  I am a veteran Computer Hardware Technician, as well as an Electronic Technician.  I don't talk down to, or tell people how to use their computers/electronics when I see them doing something I know is wrong, or the long way of doing something -- it is not my place to tell them.  If they ask my help, I give it, along with best practices, if they are interested in hearing it.

Many of us ride bikes as a hobby, as well as making some repairs ourselves, as a hobby.  Buying a specialty tool, that we will use once every five years, may not be the best thing for us to do; rebuilding an engine when we've never done it before, with no one to show us the way, is daunting, at best, at worst, we may turn it into scrap metal -- not everyone is born with the same aptitudes or abilities.  Some of us take them into a professional, which is good, as it keeps them gainfully employed, as well as keeping our vintage bikes running down the road.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Most people don't know how to fix their computers, or their electronics -- that is why I have a job as a Technician.  Please, dial down the attitude.  There are other forums if you don't care for the folks who post here.  Cheers!

Re: 1973 cb450

cb shwank
hey slag! can you tell me how to fix a sony reciever the only turns on into protect? and i mean that, i 'm not being a dick.
wisconsin

Re: 1973 cb450

sgtslag
Sony audio amps have had a power issue for years -- design flaw.  I don't work on home stereos, not since tech school days.  My advice is to buy anything but Sony -- had the same power problem on two different models of audio amps, a couple of years apart.  Won't buy anything Sony again.  Sorry.

Re: 1973 cb450

phil
Thanks for the support

Re: 1973 cb450

cb shwank
dang. thanks anyway.
wisconsin

Re: 1973 cb450

phil
Nope, no hole in the block that I can see.
seized up or rusted up? I don't know the difference.
I'd love to keep it all together, but as I said "I'm no mechanic" and for 2 years I've been unable to find anyone capable or willing to take on the project. That's why I started looking for another engine.
It seems that finding someone to do it is more difficult than finding cloths that are made in America.
If you know of someone capable perhaps you'd let me know. Thanks

Re: 1973 cb450

I would be willing to take on the project, and if, for some strange reason I could not handle it, one of the locale Honda dealers by me still works on these older bikes.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
A real shame. A coffee table.
At least the engine will be protected from corrosion.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
I understand that not all of you are bike mechanics.
The beauty of these bikes was the simplicity. NO computers,no black boxes.
They require almost no special tools at all.
You can take the machine work to a machine shop, and if you do that
 all the machine shops will not go out of business.
And most of the "special" tools can be made at your garage workshop.
If you work on computers that means you have some had tools and are handy.Right?

I just want to encourage everyone to start going "green" if you prefer,
and start fixing things.

One of the most important tools of coarse to fix metric motorcycles
is a hand impact driver to loosen the screws so you do not strip them.
The tool cost $10.00 thats all.

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
And you can come back here and ask questions that are not in the workshop manual. Free.
But getting a workshop manual is the first step to fix any machine.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
But doesn't SONY at least print the number of the part on the board so you can get a new part?
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

Lucky 1
Take about a shot glass of diesel fuel and pour it down in each cylinder.
Then put the plugs back in.

The diesel will help break the bond of the piston rings and the cylinder walls.
Easy to do. It is very common for engines to get rusted and stuck.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 1973 cb450

I want to decorate my entire house with engines of all types. I just got a lead on a CBX engine with a hole in the bottom of the case. I'm thinking desk

Re: 1973 cb450

TOOLS1 wrote
I want to decorate my entire house with engines of all types. I just got a lead on a CBX engine with a hole in the bottom of the case. I'm thinking desk
TOOLS
  HAHA   Thats awesome    Toobabe must be a special girl to let you do that!!
12