1975 Honda CB750F Super Sport - Lester, Kerker, Martek, Dunlop, K&N

1975 Honda CB750F Super Sport - Lester, Kerker, Martek, Dunlop, K&N

redSnakeSleeper
The good:
- If you like red and black, you'll love the look of this bike.
- New battery.
- Less than 2.5K miles on a completely rebuilt engine/transmission.
- Runs strong and clean.
- Tank would rate a 8/10.
- Seat, and rear deck a 9/10.
- Both side panels (one is cracked).
- Genuine Lester mag wheels.
- Martek electronic ignition.
- Martek ignition coils.
- Martek alarm system.
- Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust.
- 4 K&N air filters.
- S&W Monroe chrome air shocks--easy to adjust for 1 or 2 up riding.
- Dunlop K-81 tires.
- No turn signals--this bike has very clean lines (it's a head-turner everywhere I ride).

The bad:
- 38K+ miles.
- No side stand (the lug on the frame broke off--center stand only).
- Tachometer not working.
- 3 small dents in tank--one with a nick in the paint, but otherwise fixable with paintless method.
- Silver dollar size dent in front fender (could be pushed out, never had the time).
- Left side panel not original.
- Electric starter switch not working (starter is fine).
- Rear tire should be replaced (still has about 5K miles left).
- Rust damage to chrome on mirrors, and a couple of inexpensive add-on parts).
- Kerker was originally chrome, then painted flat black, which burnt off the first 6-8 inches from exhaust ports down (easy fix, with a can of spray paint).
- Kerker has a couple of dents.
- No turn signals (may have them in the garage--if that's important.
- Missing instrument cluster idiot light cover (the lights are there and working, just not under the plastic cover).
- Rubber ring around one shock is split (but, it still holds air).

The ugly:
- I bought this bike from a friend in the early 80's.  It had been his daily driver, so upon close inspection, it has signs of normal wear--but not for every part.  From 5 feet away, it looks very nice.  While screaming by at break-neck speeds, it looks downright perfect.

Who would buy this bike?
- Someone looking for a very nice tank, seat, and tail piece.
- Someone looking for a set of genuine Lester mag wheels.
- Someone looking for an electronic ignition with matching coils.
- Someone looking for an alarm system.
- Someone looking for the unmistakable sound of the Kerker exhaust (the baffle is there, just no glass--sweet!).
- Someone who is looking for a bike that is ready to ride.
- Someone looking for a seriously fun bike to ride.
- Someone who appreciates the look of the Super Sport.
- Someone looking for a nicely customized Super Sport.

This bike is a blast to ride.  Enough power to have a lot of fun, but not enough to kill the unskilled rider (like an R1--which I've been looking at buying).  The seating position is straight-up, with center mounted pegs and controls (stock), which makes a long day of canyon carving interleved with highway/freeway driving a pleasure, and not an ordeal.  If you know how to hang off a wide bike in turns, it's surprising just how fast it can get through them without dragging a peg.  Pulling onto the freeway is a rush--all the way to 100+ MPH, this bike pulls like a tractor.

It's not a crotch rocket, but it has enough power--especially when it's wound-up--to keep pace with any superbike in the canyons (all comes down to rider skill).  In impromptu challenges, I've always been able to beat the latest superbikes in the canyons of the Santa Monica mountains, where skill always trumps power.

Every time I ride this bike, it puts a big smile on my face.  I'm sure there's someone else who would feel the same.

In terms of value, the nearly fresh engine is worth about $500.  The Lester mag wheel set is worth about $500 (check the bay, prices are going up monthly).  The electronic ignition and matching coils are worth $250 minimum (search the net, they're hard to come by--especially fully installed and functional).  The Kerkers have no real value, aside from the fact you won't need to find another set to ride.  The alarm is of questionable value--nice to have, but not essential.  The nearly perfect tank, seat, rear deck would fetch at least $1K, and maybe more.

I don't want to part the bike out, but if I don't get a reasonable price, that may be it's fate.  Feel free to wheel and deal with me over the parts--you may tempt me into go that route.

If you need more pictures, let me know, and I'll do my best to upload as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading my treatise.  I don't want the buyer to feel they were misled in any way.IMG00004-20100602-1834.jpgIMG001w-20100602-1834.jpg

Re: 1975 Honda CB750F Super Sport - Lester, Kerker, Martek, Dunlop, K&N

donsmerz
Hi. If you part this out, I would be very interested in the tank/seat/cowl for my 1976 machine.
Please e-mail me directly at n3rht@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
-DOn M.