1977 exhausts

beemerboy
I have a 1977 K7 with 98% good exhausts. Of all places for rust to penetrate is on top of #1 muffler in a very visible spot. A hole about an inch long and i/2 inch wide. Does anyone know of some way, short of replacement, to cure this blemish? I have considered using the very shiny duct tape. I realize this is a CS, redneck solution. Seems with all the bikes out there and all the capable owners, someone came up with a fix.

Re: 1977 exhausts

Weld on a patch, or replace with an aftermarket exhaust.

Re: 1977 exhausts

There really isn't a "fix". They rot and that's that. You can patch but the others are likely ready to rot through. Duct tape won't hold at all. I tried metal ducting tape, didn't work. Holes blew through it. Tried jb weld backed up with metal tape, didn't hold. You could braze it closed. It is relatively low heat.

Some places do still have oem pipes, but they are going to cost you.
Lucky thing is the headers usually are fine so you can cut off the muffler and use a slip-on.

Re: 1977 exhausts

cblover
Replacing it with an aftermarket exhaust would last longer and will surely sound better. I agree with them repairing it will not last at all, they rot like hell. A good brand would be Supertrapp or Vance and Hines. A cousin of mine bought a Supertrapp from 4 Wheel Online, it really complimented well with its classic look.

Re: 1977 exhausts

bernhard
This is a common problem for nearly all Jap bikes. I once brought a brand spanking new cb500/4 and the exhaust rotted in only 6 months –the only remedy I found was to take them to work and braze on some suitably sized thin sheet metal onto the chrome-it was child’s play to heat the sheet up once it had been tacked on in one place to gently tap it round the bends of the exhaust muffer.