1979 750F Super Sport

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

You have routed the spark control through a flux capacitor.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

motogrady
Administrator

nope, no flux Capacitor here Tools.

...........when I got this bike, there was a strip of grey duct tape that ran
along the back bottom of the airbox.
thought it was cracked or something.
took it off and saw someone had drilled maybe 10 holes, maybe 1/2 inch wide,
along the back of the box.

I've tried it both ways, holes open, holes taped shut.

Maybe it's a mental thing, but man, it sure feels like it runs better with them open.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
That's a really good picture. Thanks for posting that.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

Ron Putman
I have the same problem with the burnt tar coming out of both spark units, I bought my 79 750 f just a couple of weeks ago. It was running when I started tearing it down. Found the stator was shorted to ground today so am ordering a new one tomorrow. Everything I've read say's some type insulating epoxy will work on these. Looks like I'll be replacing everything one piece at a time as usual with old classic autos and bikes. Curious how you fixed your spark unit. New ones are really expensive at the bike shop here in town. 180.00 a piece!
Already spent 500.00 on carbs and rubber boots. 300.00 new tires, another 200 on chain and sprockets and still have to get tags and insurance, I have to go take a riding class for 125.00 and get an endorsement on my Driver Lic. Still, I love it and looking forward to this summer just the same! Hope you got yours going!

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Hey. That's was nice of you to write. I just used some epoxy like you mentioned. Still want to tear engine apart and rebuild before I test it out. All in all I think I am about ready to do that. Just need a gasket kit. Still missing a few things like stator cover and the wire and have to seal the inside of tank and rebuild my master cylinder. Had surface rust when I got it. Then it's small stuff like tires and battery and oh yeah a seat. So I still have a ways to go but it's much easier then restoring a car so that part of it is nice. Would like to find a good price on replacements controls to. Mine are cracked.

Send me some pics if you don't mind. I'd like to see what you are working on.

On Mar 5, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Ron Putman [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have the same problem with the burnt tar coming out of both spark units, I bought my 79 750 f just a couple of weeks ago. It was running when I started tearing it down. Found the stator was shorted to ground today so am ordering a new one tomorrow. Everything I've read say's some type insulating epoxy will work on these. Looks like I'll be replacing everything one piece at a time as usual with old classic autos and bikes. Curious how you fixed your spark unit. New ones are really expensive at the bike shop here in town. 180.00 a piece!
Already spent 500.00 on carbs and rubber boots. 300.00 new tires, another 200 on chain and sprockets and still have to get tags and insurance, I have to go take a riding class for 125.00 and get an endorsement on my Driver Lic. Still, I love it and looking forward to this summer just the same! Hope you got yours going!

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/1979-750F-Super-Sport-tp4052634p4055684.html
To unsubscribe from 1979 750F Super Sport, click here.
NAML

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85

Hopefully the pics load. Finally got some time to start tinkering. Got the engine on the stand. The inside of engine looks really clean. The intake ports have some surface rust. Was hoping one of you could give me advice on condition and best steps to take. If I don't need to take it apart I would like to not do so. It doesn't seem to leak any oil. My thoughts are to clean is up and new valve cover gasket and Eastwood black engine enamel. The finish is flaking already anyway and beyond saving. If the pics load I hope you can see the stem of the valves and tell me what you think. It's only rusty on the two left valves on carb intake ports.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

If the valves are not stuck, I would not worry about them, just clean them up with some penetrating oil, and maybe a wire wheel on a Dremel. As for engine painting, I clean them with "Easy Off" oven cleaner, and soapy water. It takes all the grime, and old paint off, then I paint them with Rustolium Acrylic Enamel spray paint. It is good for 500* and if your engine gets that hot, you need a new engine.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Cool. Thanks Tools. I'll give that a go. Is the stock air box hard to find? I was going to go with pods but then I started reading up on having to go bigger jets and tape off the pods. I haven't seen a box on eBay or anywhere. Seems like everyone has tossed them.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

You would think that with all these people tossing them to run pods, they would be everywhere, but they must be throwing them away.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
I'll probably just take my carbs to my carb shop here. He built my quadrajet for my Pontiac and it screams now. If he can't give me advise then no one can. He has carbs out the wazoo.
Can the charging rotor thing be cleaned up? It's rusty. I know rumor is this bike had charging issues. Might be related to this part?
  Once agin I will ask and ask. Only because I do not know. First bike but loving it. Glad I have it. If my work didn't just do cutbacks I would go through every part of the bike. But for now I just need to clean and repair and reuse what I can.
12