1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

Gerbilator
Hey guys! I'm new here so this will be my first post, but I have to admit, I love the forum. I have been reading through many topics, looking at all the different builds and the tips that have been given around here. So a little about my motorcycle history, I started out with a Yamaha YBR 250 (2009), went on to buy a Honda CX500C (1982) and then I bought this one.

The bike is a Honda CB750C '82. Bought it in the Netherlands, imported it back to Belgium where I live. Cost for the bike: 500 €, registration procedure for imported motorcycles that do not have a certain paper that is needed here: 69 €. Total cost until now: 569 € :D

The motorcycle is in a fair condition, apart from a few minor issues. I'm missing the right panel under the seat (tried to buy one off an auction, it went for around 160 dollars, so I decided not to buy the cover :D). The back light is working but the break light isn't. Chromes still look quite good. Mileage is around 65.000 km.

So as you can see, the right cover is missing and I have this "metal" plate covering the right side.

Rusty old mirrors, loose wiring under the headlight.

Some wires that are burnt through. Probably from the horn which also, broke off.

God knows what the previous owner was thinking when he changed the normal fuel line for this metal crap. He told me that they had cut it 3 times before to steal his fuel and that is why he changed it. Problem right now? The tank is not sitting in it's right spot nor is the seat. Everything has gone up a notch.

And who knows what he was thinking when he welded the mufflers to the exhaust pipes

Another issue I have is this. Where the heck is the button for the headlights, parking lights and to turn them off? This has to be some crappy aftermarket piece or just the original piece missing the button, making it impossible for me to turn off the lights when I want too.

And a last picture, my bike and my dog :D

So what do I want to do with this bike? I want to make a cafe racer. Why? My CX500C was a cafe racer which I never completed because my friend wanted to buy it off me, so I sold it. But now I have this beauty, I absolutely love and I want to hold on to this bike for a longer time. I also have been reading a lot through this forum and I am partially questioning my decision to turn this into a cafe racer.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

rich
Welcome! Nice looking bike. You've got some work to do but it looks like you can ride it and work on it as can.

In response to your question about the headlight: There's no headlight "off" switch on most bikes made after 1976 or so. In the U.S. at least, a new law required the headlight to be on at all times.

Good luck on your hunt for parts. Most of the stuff you need would be easy to get of Ebay here in the U.S. but I guess you'll have to pay a lot of fees, taxes, and shipping to import them.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: 1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

stormy
got the same bike...same year....I have the side panels you are looking for...I don't want them..you can have for the cost of shipping...will post a pic tonight...... would love your metal side cover.....trade?.......also have the mirrors...and all the rest you mentioned...will post pics tonight when im done in garage...taking a lunch/dinner break and ...its hot....thanks..stormy

also ...the bike came with café bars...terrible...ergonomically speaking...it places the rider in an awkward riding position that kills the back if riding all day...im 5'9...also took off a lowering kit the previous owner had put on it....put on pull back bars off my 82 Honda 450...much better ride position for hips, knees, and shifting....

Re: 1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

Gerbilator
Yes! The taxes and shipping costs would kill me! I ordered 2 t-shirts from the States once, they were shipped here, they cost around 37 dollars which is approximately 30 € or something like that. But the fees I had to pay were 23 € on them :O But I think there may be some options to bypass these fees, by shipping with UPS or DHL, and not with the normal mail.

O really, no switch? I thought that was quite weird! I have the letters on the part which say H, P and and arrow or something else.

Here's a picture from the same part taken off and '81 model and it has the switch.

The bike is rideable and I absolutely love it. It differs a lot from the CX500 I previously owned and has a lot more HP!

Re: 1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

Gerbilator
And please, do post the pictures stormy! I'm really interested! I have been looking for the panels quite a bit, they are nowhere to be found in Europe or at a very high cost.

And you are right stormy, the position is quite awkward, I had already noticed on my CX 500. It wasn't totally comfortable for my back but again, there was this "COOL" factor that the position added to the bike.It also took me a while to get used to the mirrors and their position, but in the end, I enjoyed riding a cafe racer. Either way, I'm still unsure what I want to do with it.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

Well in your area, I would try david silver spares or csmnl first, both are listed in the parts sources post.

Silver is based in the UK and csmnl is Netherlands if I remember right.

Re: 1982 Honda CB750C - Slow project

Gerbilator
Hmmmmm, I know both sites but they are quite expensive.

For anyone that is looking for parts for their bikes I would advise this website:

http://www.motorsloop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73_74

I think they are also based in the NL and they ship internationally if I am not mistaken, parts are mostly from stripped bikes etc