30 amp main fuse

ksharp
where do i get these are they a every where thing or do i have to order them, ive never seen em before?

Re: 30 amp main fuse

Auto Zone.

Re: 30 amp main fuse

The original, OEM fuse, is a fusible link of metal, that is secured between two screws -- at least on my '79 DOHC.  I replaced mine with a fuse holder which takes modern fuses, metal piece inside of a plastic C-shape, with blade connectors.  I got the holder, and 30 Amp fuses, at Wal-Mart for less than $10.  I crimped on ring connectors to the 12 GA wire ends, screwed them into the bike, in place of the fusible link, inserted a fuse, and done.  Keep extra fuses inside the pockets of my fairing, just in case...  Cheers!

Re: 30 amp main fuse

Half-Caf
Hmm, mine had a 25 Amp main fuse, but I accidentally blew it yesterday (keys crossed fuses when I had the cover off)
Should I replace with a 30?
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: 30 amp main fuse

sgtslag
Check the manual on your bike's year.  Five amps doesn't sound like much, compared to 25 or 30, but it could mean the difference between a fire, and no fire.

Whatever the specs call for, is what you should install.  Chances are good that you won't ever blow the 25/30 amp fuse, but it is a safety issue, and rather critical, at that.  Best to err on the side of caution.

Did the same thing on my '79, a few years ago:  working on the bike, with the cover off, and the key ring in the bike -- one bump, and pfffttt!  Back then, it had the fusible link (OEM).  That is when I decided to upgrade it with a modern fuse holder.  I crimped on some loop connectors, and installed a blade fuse.  Whole upgrade cost me around $10.  Don't know that it makes any real difference, other than the blade fuses are available nearly everywhere (Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, etc.), while the fusible links are only available at auto parts stores.  Cheers!

Re: 30 amp main fuse

Half-Caf
Already have the blade fuse setup (its in there among that rat's nest of wires..):

Working on my bike today. Maybe I'll straighten things up a bit.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: 30 amp main fuse

ksharp
pretty sure there all thirty amp, and i found replacements same kinds for 5 bucks on ebay for ten done finished lol i would swap it out for the new style but how many times do u blow it.

Re: 30 amp main fuse

Nick
Ha... I was desperate to get home and Kragen had nothing but modern fuses and so I bent the ends of a newer blade type fuse and screwed it down tight... still on my bike, but I think I'll install a housing like you've done!

Re: 30 amp main fuse

Lucky 1
Makes no sense. The wires would not even support 30 amps.
The stock bikes' largest fuse was 15 amps.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: 30 amp main fuse

The main feed wire is a 10 ga. which will support 30 amps. That is the only one that has a 30 amp fuse protecting it.

Re: 30 amp main fuse

My bikes all have 30 amp breakers.

Re: 30 amp main fuse

rrgunslinger
Last I checked the book called for 15,7 and 5 amp for a 73...
American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg