67 Honda Dream carb

steven
So my gas tank when I got my bike was rusted out. I have cleaned and resealed. As result it hosed up my carb to the point I feel the bike isn't right. I'm thinking about installing a new carb. Mikuni VM22...of course the jets will be changed out...etc.  Has anyone made the change?

Re: 67 Honda Dream carb

I would be more worried about the tank. Most of the tank liners can be dissolved with acetone. I would get some acetone and clean the original carb. Trying to adapt to another carb will be a lot of work and headaches.
Also, any tank liner that is white or red in color will gum up your carb. You want to use a silver/gray-colored (Por-15) product.

Re: 67 Honda Dream carb

steven
I cleaned out the tank real good with hardware and vinegar. Sealed it with POR-15 (coating was silver). The Mikuni VM22 is a fit and won't have to modify anything.

Re: 67 Honda Dream carb

steven
I have cleaned out the stock carb a number of times. Got a rebuild kit adjusted the flow...etc. The bike just didn't run correctly. At low RPMs it bogged down....Idle ran rough....also....spark plugs always were black and shooty. Also...after taking the carb off numerous times I noticed the choke was damaged and parts missing, of course I checked the intake and there was no damaged, figure previous owner had issues. I reviewed this you tube where this guy puts a Mikuni on...haven't received the new carb yet...just wondering if anybody else switched out.

Re: 67 Honda Dream carb

Por-15 gumming up a carb? I have never encountered it. Black sooty plugs, bogging, and poor idling are all indications of carb problems. Both lean and rich conditions, and yes you can have both at the same time. I am going to guess that the previous owner/mechanic has really messed up the carbs. The one thing that is really common in these situations is that someone has installed an aftermarket carb kit. The parts in these kits are questionable at best. I have fought similar problems and been able to trace it back to the poorly made aftermarket parts. I have never done or seen this Mikuni swap. Please let me know how it goes, but in any case, you need to fix the tank liner problem. I always clean tanks with Nitric acid, flush well and use the Por-15 neutralizer before coating.

Re: 67 Honda Dream carb

steven
I sealed the tank with POR-15 when I received the bike because the tank was rusted.  I familiar with carb issues that's why I figured since the tank issue and I couldn't get the carb tuned in , that maybe the carb is shot! That my thoughts about going down the thought of changing out the carb. I've done this before with Harleys....the old Harleys had a Zenith carbs,,,,,,,,the SS carbs run soooo much better.