85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

SoCalMotoClassics
Hi, just joined group.  Recently acquired an 85 cb700sc Nighthawk embargo bike.  From what I've learner it's a de-stroked 750, sold everywhere else as a 750.  Its work in progress, thinking of doing a semi cafe conversion.  I welcome any input or expertise.  Been on 2wheel hiatus for 30 yrs, just got back in and loving it.  Looking for service manuals, prints, schematics, etc.  Thanks, Rick
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

Welcome. How about some pictures?

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

SoCalMotoClassics
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

SoCalMotoClassics
So far, I've only done fluids changes, added after market turn signals and replaced levers, getting ready to do a serious going through the bike doing corrosion conteol, rubber replacement where needed, etc.  Next is fuel system including tank, petcock, carbs, etc.  I'm new to the bike mod scene, and some of the mods others do are beyond my abilities, so I will stick to bolt-ons and minor fab.

Question, can I use synthetic oil?  I read it improves transmission performance, it's a little clunky.  If so, what synthetic should I use for classic wet clutch bikes?
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

Synthetic oil will make the old gaskets and seals leak. Most people use Shell Rotella 10/40 in these old bikes. Very good oil and will not hurt the clutch. If your transmission is "clunky" shifting, you might need a clutch adjustment.

Really appreciate the advice.  I did an oil change with Honda oil, had heard about Rotella, will give it a try next time. Now to see about that clunky shifting.  Thanks Rick
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

SoCalMotoClassics
Found the service manual for 1984 to 1986 CB700sc
http://paulsnighthawkpages.blogspot.com/?m=1 in a downloadable PDF, kudos to Paul for making that available.  Now all the bits start to make more sense.
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

E.T.bewild
Yours looks clean! I like the bobbed rear, I've always hated the chunky stock plate hanger.

I always run the rotella in mine, you can find it anywhere and its cheap.

what are your plans for it?

Hi, it was pretty clean when I got it, just doing some light cafe changes to rear, nothing radical. I like the cropped rear, makes for  a compact skoot.  I Have an ftermarket rear tail light I'm going to tuck up higher under the rear of seat, once I fabricate a bracket for it, will have incorporated turn signals, and I'm going to put smaller teardrop turn signals on fairing  to give it a smoother look.  Right now it's work in progress.  But carbs have been an issue, prior owner used silicone sealer on carb bowls.  Gummed up internals, did a very thorough clean, but my idle crapped out again, so guess not well enough.  Gets easier every time you do carbs  though, so last one was for the learning curve.
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: 85 cb700sc Nighthawk Sport

E.T.bewild
Im with you, its looks were ahead of its time, EXCEPT for those huge turn signals. Looking forward to see the progress. Ive got a similar idea for a shortened rear, but I want to save the rear cowl and Get a  new seat instead.

Yeah after a few times, the carb disassembly gets far simpler. The removal of the bank on the other hand, well that stays hard!