Accel supercoil on 85 cb700sc

SoCalMotoClassics
Hello fellow riders,
Can anyone please advice if I can do a straight replacement of stock coils and wires with Accel 3 ohm Supercoil kit for 80's Honda bikes on my stock cb700sc? Not ready to undertake the GM HEI mod yet, but found I have an intermittent coil and a broken plug boot with a resistor inside.  Is the resistor needed to protect the ignitor module or furnished for noise suppression? The kit is pricey, is it worth the expense?  A YouTube video suggested the jumping spark inside broken boot took out my coil, and possibly the ignitor module, any truth to that from your experience?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: Accel supercoil on 85 cb700sc

The broken boot could have taken the coil out, hard to tell with these old parts why they quit. The Accel is a very good coil. I have used them and never had any problems. However you do not need the "HEI" swap, you just need the GM coil swap, which is what I would be doing. On the plug boots, get new NGK boots with the resistor. Most bike shops stock them, I even keep them on hand in my shop. Places like vintagecb750.com and Z1enterprises.com also sell them.

Re: Re: Accel supercoil on 85 cb700sc

SoCalMotoClassics
As always, thanks Mr Tools1 for the sound advice. I'm going to swap out the OEM coils with AC Delco D555 ignition coils (2), make new plug wires with appropriate wire and new NGK resistor plug boots. If I understood correctly, I don't need to modify or change my ignitor module, and the coils will work properly with existing ignitor signals and irridium plugs. I assume I need to build some form of mounting for these. Do they require heat sinking or special bonding? I have yet to find a photo of this swap anywhere to give me an idea of what a proper swap looks like.
On 3/7/18, 8:34 PM "TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The broken boot could have taken the coil out, hard to tell with these old parts why they quit. The Accel is a very good coil. I have used them and never had any problems. However you do not need the "HEI" swap, you just need the GM coil swap, which is what I would be doing. On the plug boots, get new NGK boots with the resistor. Most bike shops stock them, I even keep them on hand in my shop. Places like vintagecb750.com and Z1enterprises.com also sell them.

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Accel-supercoil-on-85-cb700sc-tp4063073p4063075.html
To unsubscribe from Accel supercoil on 85 cb700sc, click here.
NAML
1973 CL350, 1975 CB750K, 1980 Yamaha DT175E . . . 30 yrs later . . . Picking up where I left off . . . Now riding a 1985 CB700SC Nighthawk S (Fair-weather rider by geography . . . sunny Southern California) . . . Ride to live . . . Live to ride!

Re: Re: Accel supercoil on 85 cb700sc

Here is a link to a write up on another forum about the GM coil swap. It should answer all your questions.
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/64-electrical-discussion/17319-gm-distributorless-coil-mod-writeup.html