Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

zer213
Im trying to figure out if these two nipples are supposed to be hooked together. If anyone has a topdown photo that would be awesome. Or a simple yes or no.
Its the two nipples between the spring on top of the 2 and 3 carb.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Those are just vents. Run a piece of hose from each one down behind the engine.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

zer213
Routed kinda like the overflow tubes? She didnt have any of those either so I had to figure that one out when I was looking at schematics.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Lucky 1
Those are not 1978 or K8 carbs. They look like 1976 carbs. Return spring configuration.

Those two outlets are float bowl vent tubes. Do NOT connect them together.
Just run a tube from each one an down ward out of the way so fuel if overflow occurs will stay away from the hot engine. behind the engine out of the wind.
Put the tubes where the wind does not have great effect on them or it can draw fuel out of the float bowl.
Do not connect the vent tube to the air filter box because then fuel can get sucked out of the float bowls by the carb suction.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

zer213
Makes a lot of sense, seems like the PO had a problem with it cranking/running and fixed everything but the real problem.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Lucky 1
Happens all the time.
They just need to buy a workshop manual and read it.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

When I first got the bike I hooked the old gas tank up to see if I could get it to start, but despite having about a cup of old gas in it only about a 1/2 teaspoon came out. I looked inside and saw that the PO had tried to seal the tank, and in doing so had gotten sealant all over the strainer inside the tank. I was given a box of parts when I got the bike that included 2 starters, a set of carbs, a new K & N air filter and a new fuel filter. He probably sealed the tank, got some on the inner filter, couldnt start it or keep it running and halfass fixed everything else or was getting ready to and gave up.
I'll happily benefit from his ignorance

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Lucky 1
When you line the tank the petcock should be completely removed.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Better yet, DON'T line a tank!!!!!!

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Ugh. Another tank liner horror story in the works???? I got a lined tank on the chopper. It's ''crunchy'' inside. Not looking forward to this...

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

zer213
Yeah, I picked up a tank on Ebay that hadnt been lined. I get to sand it down today and apply coat #2 this afternoon if it stops raining and the sun comes out. Ive read about way too many problems with lining tanks. Makes no sense to me either, with the cafe racer look being very popular I can find decent unlined tanks left and right. Why not just replace the tank or seal it up with some JB Weld?

Where I live if you do not line the tank it will rust.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Lucky 1
I had very good luck cleaning an old liner out of a tank
 by putting a short length of chain inside the tank and shaking it.
It did a good job.

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

I live in the rust belt, and don't have any problem. However maybe your gas is different.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Ha! Trying living where I live. The only rust free cars here are NEW! Yeah,no problems with my tank either. Paranoia....

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

GearBocks
Yes, I have to agree here. Bad experiences are plentiful with liners.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Lucky 1
All California gas has 10% ethanol and some had MTBE.
 I think the people forced the companies to get rid of MTBE. It was toxic.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

Lucky 1
I have not heard of a Caswell liner going bad.

IF you put WD 40 inside your tank,  liner will not adhere. WD40 has silicone in it.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Arent these supposed to be hooked up? Carb Question cb750k 8

lobster
I agree. I've had some rusty ass tanks and never had to line them.

Evaporust from pep boys works wonders.
Monrovia California
1978 CB 750F
1964 305 CA77