Big mistake made yesterday

I went on a mini-roadtrip, and rode by a Honda motorcycle dealership yesterday.
Big mistake.

FYI, I have a 1984 Honda Shadow that's getting a little long in the tooth. I am mostly a weekend rider due to work using up most of my week.

They had a red CB1100 in the showroom. The design looks a LOT like a DOHC 750, but is modernized.  It's air cooled, and looks like it has an oil cooler up front. Fuel injection (no pesky carb rebuilding!). Some sort of anti-lock braking system.

Looks pretty sharp. I didn't do a test ride, as I didn't have time.  MSRP is about 10K USD.

Luke

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

Keep your trusty Shadow (and your cash!)for tearing up the roads. Get ya a dual sport for year 'round fun. :)

I looked at the new CB's. They're super nice. Seems the 1100 in those bikes aren't really making any more power than the original DOHC 750's. +9 hp, I think. Hard to spend $10k when "the same" could be had for a couple grand.

I've been digging the Kawasaki Versys. Nice, tall bike. Upright seating. Parallel twin torque. Heard a rumor they might build it as a liter. That would be awesome bottom end power then.

Ugly as sin next to a CB, though. Old or new.

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

Yea. You should have rode it.

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

free2ride
when I was on my trip last summer I was told I had to stop and look at the new CBs. as soon as I mentioned I rode a 750 the salesperson told me that I needed to enter the new century, how much better the new bikes were, yada yada yada. I smiled and nodded . . . and left. if I upgrade to new [I'm not going to] it would be to a Phantom. like the looks, like the feel.

but I like my bike a whole lot more -- probably because I know it -- and after all those miles, I'm wedded to the thing.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

I have been to events where they blessed motorcycles. But never heard of marrying a motorcycle. Can you marry a motorcycle? And if so, would I have to divorce Toolbabe first?

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

Truck
TOOLS1 wrote
I have been to events where they blessed motorcycles. But never heard of marrying a motorcycle. Can you marry a motorcycle? And if so, would I have to divorce Toolbabe first?
TOOLS
Naaa, keep the bike as the mistress, more fun that way!
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

What they need to do is make a sohc style CB, but with it bored to 1080 with a big cam and 4-4 pipes. Now THAT I would buy!

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

free2ride
Truck wrote
TOOLS1 wrote
I have been to events where they blessed motorcycles. But never heard of marrying a motorcycle. Can you marry a motorcycle? And if so, would I have to divorce Toolbabe first?
TOOLS
Naaa, keep the bike as the mistress, more fun that way!
if I weren't a nice guy there would be all sorts of rude thoughts going through my head right now.

better to keep the toolbabe -- more comfortable to sleep with, I imagine.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

Free, I think your "newbness" should be viewed as a testament to the reliability of these "old" machines.

I'm so glad a CB stumbled in to my lap as my first street bike.

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
I had the same story. Only thing different is that I took it for a test ride. Needless to say. I made the purchase. No regrets so far. So I have and old and new CB.
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: Big mistake made yesterday

Hoko
LukeM wrote
I went on a mini-roadtrip, and rode by a Honda motorcycle dealership yesterday.
Big mistake.

FYI, I have a 1984 Honda Shadow that's getting a little long in the tooth. I am mostly a weekend rider due to work using up most of my week.

They had a red CB1100 in the showroom. The design looks a LOT like a DOHC 750, but is modernized.  It's air cooled, and looks like it has an oil cooler up front. Fuel injection (no pesky carb rebuilding!). Some sort of anti-lock braking system.

Looks pretty sharp. I didn't do a test ride, as I didn't have time.  MSRP is about 10K USD.

Luke
Yeah man they are sharp, I saw a CBR 1000 in the parking lot today, had to stop myself from drooling
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX