Blinkers aren't blinking 1980 cb750k

Griffin
I wired in aftermarket handlebar controls, a speedo with indicators, and an odometer.  There is only one turn signal indicator for both left and right so I have a diode on each wire to prevent on blinking from powering the other.

After a little troubleshooting everything works except the turn signals are not blinking.  They just come on the with switch and stay on.

When I unplug the wires from the winker relay and test them, the gray wire is dead and there is power on the W/G wire.  When test with them both plugged in, they both test positive with the blinker switch on or off basically like they are just spliced together. There is also a green wire near the winker relay that isn't plugged in.  I don't see where it goes and the diagram doesn't show it connected to anything.

The aftermarket turn signal switch only had 3 instead of 6.  I have the gray wire from the relay as the supply and the the other 2 wires go to left and right.  The other 3 wires are spliced together now.  I figured that would just keep them grounded at all times instead of switching both positive and negative at the same time.

I also don't have front turn signals installed at all.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I don't understand what makes the winker relay blink.  Maybe if I understood that better I could figure it out.
Dave Arnold
Xclusive Sites - Web Development - xclusivesites.com
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer - onlineptconnect.com/xclusivesites/
Instagram @phparray

Re: Blinkers aren't blinking 1980 cb750k

The blinker relay works like a set of points that open and close. There is a piece of metal that heats up as electricity passes through it and when it gets hot it trips the circuit open. Then as it cools it closes the circuit again. Without the front signals attached it might not be pulling enough current to trip the relay. That is why the turn signals will stop flashing in your car if a bulb burns out. And why you need a different flasher if you switch to LEDs. Also the wiring is power to the flasher, then flasher to switch, and switch to each turn signal.

Re: Blinkers aren't blinking 1980 cb750k

Griffin
I did switch to LED.  Could it be that simple, I just need to replace it with one for LEDs?

You're always impressive Tools!

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The blinker relay works like a set of points that open and close. There is a piece of metal that heats up as electricity passes through it and when it gets hot it trips the circuit open. Then as it cools it closes the circuit again. Without the front signals attached it might not be pulling enough current to trip the relay. That is why the turn signals will stop flashing in your car if a bulb burns out. And why you need a different flasher if you switch to LEDs. Also the wiring is power to the flasher, then flasher to switch, and switch to each turn signal.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Blinkers-aren-t-blinking-1980-cb750k-tp4060847p4060848.html
To unsubscribe from Blinkers aren't blinking 1980 cb750k, click here.
NAML