Buying a modern bike soon...Help?

CB750L
Does anyone have experience with both the cb750 and a Suzuki sv650?  I'm considering buying one but if it's not going to have a lot more pull than the cb750 I dont want it.

I also have a chance to pick up a super clean 2004 cbr1000rr for $3,000. My riding experience is limited to a year of riding on the cb750 but I am a responsible rider. Will this bike just be way overkill ? I was previously only considering cbr 600's but part of me has always dreamed of the fireblade.

Re: Buying a modern bike soon...Help?

I have worked on several Suzuki's and never enjoyed it. They are complicated, and expensive to repair. As for the sport bikes, most of those things have been run through the ringer, and beat to death. They are also expensive to repair.

Re: Buying a modern bike soon...Help?

The difference between a literbike and cb750 is like a model t and sportscar. Maybe not quite that extreme, but close. My fz6 would easily beat my cb750, or any cb750 on anything. The insurance alone will be a killer since people can't seem to help but stunt and crash, it seems. So, instead of a crotchrocket, I'd do something more like the fz9, Aprilia Shiver, or something similar. But then, I tend to avoid plastic bodywork and overly complicated bikes. Btw, the 04-07 fz6 bikes are good bikes, if lacking in the character dept some. I would also consider a Triumph, if you can.

Re: Buying a modern bike soon...Help?

CB750L
I hear you guys but I'm set on a super sport. My cb750 was always meant to be a stepping stone and what a solid stone it has been. It's really helped my confidence in handling a bigger bike (I'm a smaller guy ...only5'9or so and about 150ibs)

I wish a fz-07 or 9 was in my budget haha

Re: Buying a modern bike soon...Help?

If it has to be a rocket, then get a 600 or 750. A cbr would be the best bet in a 600. Most squids seem to be on the gsxr and so the condition of the bike may be suspect. Though a gsxr 750 is more rare, and gives a really good balance between a 600 and 1000.
Just my thoughts, but I'll tell you this; I weigh 240 and my fz6 will hit illegal speeds in seconds on the highway. And it is slightly detuned from top end more more midrange. A cbr would get you into trouble even quicker. If a 1000 is a must, i'd still do a honda, personal preference, but the are the largest bike manufacturer in the world.