CJ250T Carb leaking

Jims
Hi,
Just joined the forum as i've just bought a 1976 CJ250T for a little project.  It leaks petrol from the right hand overflow pipe.  It stops then starts and stops again.  I had the bowl off and cleaned it out, there was a bit of crap but not much as there is an inline filter from the tank.  When I push the float up it sometimes sticks and then i push slightly harder and it pops up.  Does anyone think this is the problem, I tend to think it is??
Does the needle need stripping out or will spraying some wd40 do the trick?
If I do need to strip it out, where can I find step by step instructions on carb removal and then repairing the needle/jet.  I should mention it has been sitting unused for almost a year.

Also what grade of oil would you use in the engine as when I drained the existing oil it seemed very thin.  I was going to use a 10w40 mineral oil?

Thanks for looking.

Re: CJ250T Carb leaking

Hey Jim
Oil is a touchy subject, but the two oils most recommended are Shell Rotella 10-40, or Castrol GTX 10-40. Both are very good oils and work well with wet clutches.
I am not familiar with with the CJ 250, but I am assuming it is very similar to the CJ 360T. There should be a manual for it in the twins section. As for the carb overflowing out the overflow tube, it can be several things. The needle and seat could be dirty, clean them with a Q-tip and chrome/brass polish. The float could be bad, see if it floats in gas. The float could be out of adjustment, adjust it by gently bending the tab over the needle. The needle could be bad, replace it. The float could be binding on a damaged float pin, replace the pin. The float could be bent and touching the side of the bowel, straighten or replace float. Lastly the little brass tube in the float bowel could have a crack in it, check by holding your finger over one end and blowing in the other. If it is cracked, you can solder it, or use JB Weld on it.

Re: CJ250T Carb leaking

Jims
Hi,
Thanks for that. I stripped the carb down today and the needle seems to have quite a lot of play where it slides into and seats.  How much play should there be?  I’m wondering if there is too much and it jams there?
The floats  seems fine and also the float pin.
If I replace the needle and seat, would you suggest I replace them in both carbs?

Cheers
Jim

Re: CJ250T Carb leaking

The needle seats to the hole on the tapered part, so side to side movement is not such a big deal. I would try cleaning the needles and seats with the Q-tip and chrome/brass polish first. Put gas to the carbs to test them before putting the carbs back on the bike, this will save you a lot of work if they do not seal.

Re: CJ250T Carb leaking

Jims
Thanks i'll try that first.