Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

First things first:never wave with your clutch hand.My knee still hurts.So,I got an idea to make a movie a few days back so I've been out riding gathering pictures and videos with my little cheap Walmart camera.I have no idea if this is going to turn out good,bad or not at all.Either way I have been over 250 miles of back roads in my hometown of Bedford in the last 3 days...it has been a blast.The reason for this post is this.I saw a gravel road with a removable post stuck in the middle to prevent cars from going down it.Now,since this was obviously not personal private property,but a State owned road following beside the railroad,if figured, "what the heck...i pay taxes...its my road,right?" Right?Anyway,it turned from (HUGE!) gravel to mud pretty fast.I thought about Rich and the road he posted pics of when i got to this.It also made me respect Piute's choice of tires!

I went on down the road(...why not?)wondering if i was going to have to push the bike backwards to get back out.After about a quarter mile it dried up and I was on the huge gravel again,another quarter mile or so later i came up on this awesome old bridge.I had to go exploring to find it topside and it was pretty disappointing to see from the top.The pics dont do it justice.The legs/frame are the only parts made of steel or iron.I dont know which.The beams running lengthwise are huge wooden beams.I would guess 14-16 inches squared.Of course the deck of the bridge you drive across is wooden,too.It sounded cool just to per-plunk...per-plunk...per-plunk across this thing.You can see a little daylight peeking through the deck in this pic.You could easily fit your whole foot through it

So after cruising on down past the bridge the road goes for quite a while.I looked at the odometer and it was right at 1.2 miles until the road curved around into a little clearing.Up ahead i could see some sort of small station(?) on the side of the tracks.I thought there may be someone in there that would not want me on this road so I found a spot and doubled back.I parked the bike under the bridge and was contemplating when i was going to come back here with a few pieces of lumber so that i can ride my bike up on to the tracks them selves and get a really cool picture when i heard a train coming.Dang it! I wasn't ready!I got my camera off the homemade mount as fast as i could and set it to video.I had to get this,there is no way im ever gonna be this lucky again!I was looking for a place to stand when i noticed i had parked my bike in the PERFECT spot for this.I was able to set the camera on the foundation of the bridge and start recording literally 2 or 3 seconds before the train started by.Sweet!I was so happy to be able to get that shot!Forget the bike on the rails idea,this train was moving way too fast.You could never get off the tracks in time if it snuck up on you.Poo...oh well.It was a fairly short train but i managed to snap one quick still pic of it passing by.This gives you an idea of where the bike sits in the frame in the video.Its a blurry pic,but like i said,its a cheap camera.

Standing that close to a speeding train was kind of eery.Between that kinda scaring me(Mr. Train,please don't throw some huge chunk of something and hit my bike...or me)and being excited about the video i just got i guess iwas pumped and not thinking too clearly.Actually,that would be a fact.Here's what my stupid self did.When exiting my little muddy highway directly across the road was a guy feeding his chickens.He just turned and looked at me like,"what the heck are you doing down there???".I thought i would be nice and wave.I did...with the bike running...in 1st gear...with my clutch hand.What an idiot!With the slippery ground under me the bike had no intentions to stall.The back tire spun the rear of the bike around and threw me and itself on the ground.      ow      Like i said,i was pumped and just snatched the bike up and knocked the mud off of me and it.The fellow asked if i was alright and I told him,"never better!",kicked the bike and off i went.I'd like to know what he thinks about me.Maybe not.I ended up in downtown Bedford because i thought there might be some cool stuff to look at in the industrial areas.I got a few nice pics and a few strange looks as well.I snuck around some chains to get at this one abandoned building and got busted by a cop.He was cool,though.He asked what i was doing in there and i told him i was just taking some pictures."Didnt you consider that maybe those chains were there to keep people out?"...I smiled and said "I didnt know if they were for keeping out or keeping in".He just laughed and shook his head.I have found that if you can make a cop laugh,and not give him a hard time,or a line of BS, things usually go a little smoother.He then told me,"Just because you can fit something in somewhere doesn't means it belong in there........that goes for women,too".LOL!I told you he was a cool cop!I asked him if i could spend a few more minutes and he said to just hurry up.I was able to park on the side walk and get this one cool pic before i felt like i was pushing my luck too much.I asked if he rode bikes,he said no.I asked if he wanted to me to get a pic of him on the bike(i really wanted that pic for myself for some unknown reason)he declined.I told him thanks for not ticketing me and for letting me get my pics,kicked the bike(my knee still hurts)waved goodbye with my THROTTLE HAND and headed back here.I'm still amazed at how many cool things i drive by everyday in the car or truck and never notice them.It was a good day to not be in my "cage".I stole that one from Bobber.Cage...i like that.Later guys.Happy riding...my knee still hurts.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

MarkPBG
Awesome adventure! Can't wait to do mine.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

 Hurt Knee's in the breeze
 I love those track roads out in your area bet thers lots ,Was telling ?Slick I think about useig them for camp spots on the road. YEP,thats why Piute has the tires ...Piute...

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

rich
Great pictures!

I'd have to think twice about that mud road even with my china-enduro with its knobbies.

Speaking of waving, I almost lost it the other day when I waved at a couple of Harley riders. I was just starting from a stop sign turning right and there was a lot of sand and I felt the back end start slipping because I dumped the clutch to wave. The Harley riders didn't wave back either - douches -.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Most everybody waves around here.Cars and trucks,not just fellow riders.Of course,the bike riders never waved before i got a bike...???...snobs

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

I always wave with my left hand. Can't understand why, you would have a problem. Nice pictures. I wish I would take time, for pictures when I ride.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Cuz you missing a lever on that Cadillac you ride.Take the time.It gets aggravating pulling your helmet off a hundred times a day,and you dont get to travel as far,but it makes for a good time.I enjoy it at least

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Lucky 1
Nice little excursion.
Thanks for the pics. But can you tell us where this place is?
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

fighterDaz
Hi guys, would it be of interest to you, for me to take pics of stuff I do and places I ride in england? fD..
Youth is wasted on the young.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Fighter,yes!I love to see any ride along pics!The more the better.Please do!

And Lucky,this is in Bedford County,Virginia

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

                                    England    Hell Yeh fighterdaz

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Pictures of England? Hell yea. Especially if they have Billie Piper in them.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Peterwh
Fighter, I saw the washed up whale last week.  I could post a pic tomorrow that my son took.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

I went to Walmart today due to fork bag envy created by Cabreco and Fiona. Didn't find the bag but ended up taking me 4 hours to get home. I decided to ride some back roads to see if I could spot an old bike languishing somewhere.No luck there either. I was in Bedford,where I went to high school and remembered a stretch of road we used to call the Sedaila Mile. I checked it today and it is actually 1.3 miles.Anyways. It is in the town of,you guessed it,Sedaila and it is a perfectly flat,smooth and straight section of 122S,a two lane 55mph undivided highway. Nothing is growing in the fields on either side yet so no worries of deer or other wildlife springing out in front of you. Both ends are sharp turns making it impossible for the fuzz to set up radar anywhere. A teenage gearheads paradise! I cruised up and back a few times checking for potholes or bad spots and then turned around to get after it. Bo Diddley's "I'm a road runner" started playing on my MP3 player as soon as I hit 2nd gear.Awesomeness. I got up to 135 in fourth gear it is was done,clicked it into 5th and still gained no more speed. Need more jet? It was a rush. Though not safe,it felt like being in high school again,meeting at the Restaurant to see who was gonna race on the Sedaila Mile.I wasn't planning on riding so I didnt have my good camera,but a saw a few pics I had to take. Crappy cell phone pics.

The Sedaila Store-the starting line of the infamous Sedaila Mile-cool old pumps and good pink weenies.I hate the green ones.Didn't know where the next gas stop would be so filled up here.I had 97 miles on the trip meter and it only took 1.8 gallons.Love my Honda!!!

The Restaurant...not alot of creativity went in to naming this joint.

Couldn't locate any cool bikes,but found a cool old Jaguar for sale. Poor thing had rust so deep it looked like rings on a tree. Either it doesn't run or comes with a spare head. An aluminum head.Inline six cylinder,DOHC with a chamber that looks identical to a hemi chamber.Too cool

There is supposed to be a buffalo farm around here that I have never been able to locate. I've never asked for directions cuz I figured that would spoil the fun of finding it.I know. I did find this cool old barn.It is on the corner of Sheep Creek Road. Guess what lives in it? Yup,sheep.A cool old stone barn with a creek running THRU it and surrounded by sheep.If you were dropped out of an airplane you would think you were in Ireland. Loved it

And the pic of the day with a little shout out to Micheal Vick!

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Sounds like fun, but, you missed the coolest thing there. The old B model Mack. I would love to have one of those to build a heavy duty pickup out of.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Thats all we got around here is old trucks. There are two paper mills close by so there are alot of logs hauled around here. I can never find any old bikes,but there are dilapidated trucks everywhere. The B models are cool. There is a guy i kinda know that collects and restores old road tracors.He has a niiiiice Diamond T that he hauls his '32 3 window on

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Dusting off an old thread...

I got to take a nice little cruise with a bud today. He likes to ride like me. Uh,spirited so there wasnt alot of sight seeing happening. We did stop at this one spot to stretch for a while and grab a quick pic. Pretty view here. A big gust of wind came thru and sent Eric's helmet flying. He almost lost it over the bank! Pretty funny watching two big guys all geared up and stiff from the cold and riding trying to chase a helmet thru the overlook parking area.stumblestumbletripstumble....i got it!

Riding in the mountains this time of years SUCKS! Loose gravel everywhere! My back tire is almost bald and the cold roads+loose gravel+brine=a couple ''pucker moments''  And trying to keep up with a liter Ninja with an old CB makes you push the bike pretty hard. Eric would just lean his bike over.Whereas I was all hanging off the side of my bike and practically begging the old girl to lay over for me. I think I found the limit of my front suspension due to the fact that I snapped a bolt on my fork braceand had fork oil oozing all over the place after a couple hours of hard riding.In this pic the fork brace was in the tank bag lol. Wiped the oil off and cruised home at a fairly civilized pace and didn't lose any more.Oil got too hot and oozed out? Bottoming? I dunno. Good times! Got some new peg scrapes,my chicken strips are getting smaller and smaller and my front rotor,which was recently treated to a good surfacing,is showing some serious heat marks from the heavy braking we did today.It's like the pads were oozing black ink on to the rotor Can't wait til next weekend....

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

Your earlier post notes 135mph on the Sedalia mile.  2X the speed limit = probably enough horsepower/speed.  As long as it's riding good, I'd say don't mess with it.

I had my old '750L up to about 90 when I saw a VERY large hedgehog/critter going across the road at a VERY slow pace.  Maybe I'm a wuss, but that pretty much put an end to my high speed rides.  Too easy to have something go wrong in a VERY bad way.

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

You should really go see a doctor about that knee. It should have healed by now,

Re: Cruisin' with my camera...my knee still hurts

It's all in your perspective, Luke. The way I see it,if you had been going a little bit faster than you would have crossed that portion of road well before the little critter has a chance to get there. Thus,making your journey much safer....

And the knees feeling betterThanks for your concern! haha
12