Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

free2ride
well here we go . . . I'm actually getting my hands dirty.

'80 750K, cylinder head gasket leak leaking, I've got it off and am replacing it, but while I have it off is there anything else I should look at before I put it back together?

got it off without taking the motor out, not sure if that was the proper way but it was something I could do!

Tools? Bueller? Anyone?
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

COOL! But are you talking about the "head" gasket or the "head cover" gasket? If it is the head cover gasket, I would suggest checking the valve clearance while you have it off. All you will need to do this is a set of feeler gauges. You can get a set at any autoparts store for around $8.00.

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

free2ride
diving in tomorrow . . . and hoping for the best [thanks for the advice]

oh . . . cylinder head cover.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

pidjones
Don't cross-thread or over-torque the cover bolts. Might be a good time while it's off to adjust the cam chain tensioners.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

Well, How is it going?

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

free2ride
I'm going to go back to the garage tomorrow to take a look, but the gasket has been R&R'd, the cover is back on and the oil has been changed. the valves were good. my buddy is going to "steam clean" the engine and balance the carbs.

got my hands a little dirty and had some fun. next up: starter needs some work.

still have snow on the ground and there's a lot of salt and grit but riders are out . . . unfortunately, passed by the first fatality of the year Saturday: a 60-year-old rider in a single vehicle accident -- looks like he took an exit ramp too fast and slid off. sad.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

free2ride
pidjones wrote
Don't cross-thread or over-torque the cover bolts. Might be a good time while it's off to adjust the cam chain tensioners.
one of the bolts appears stripped. BEFORE I got to it.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

Now you get to learn how to install a heli-coil.

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

The spiral looking thing you put into striped bolt holes to repair threads.

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

free2ride
that done, went to take her out and the floats needed to be adjusted [gas all over the place] so carbs out.

ready to go. except noticed a tail light and low beam out. this weekend. hopefully. if I get the kids' playhouse built. and it stays dry. and it warms up to over 50F for once!

but other than that life is mostly good
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

"Playhouse built" Cool! I just built Toolbabe a new chicken coop. I love doing carpentry.

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

free2ride
TOOLS1 wrote
"Playhouse built" Cool! I just built Toolbabe a new chicken coop. I love doing carpentry.
TOOLS

ok it may not be much but I DID IT MYSELF! and for a non-handy guy, I think it turned out pretty well (finishing touches by "Mrs. Free"").

oh, and the bike seems to be running just fine. sweating oil a bit still but otherwise not leaking, not clanking and clattering, and running smoothly. was looking at having to (OK, wanting to) get something newer (and more comfortable) this year but can put it off for another (I think sadly . . . that old "n+1" formula for bikes has hold of me -- something I never expected!).
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

That is adorable. I'll bet the kids love it. What is that knotty wood you used?

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Cylinder Head Gasket Replace plus???

I thought it looked like cedar but was not sure if it was. Could have been some sort of knotty pine with a stain.