Forum Posting guidelines

Things are starting to get cluttered up here and I think it is due to limited software for separating things.
So I am putting down some guidelines for posting that will hopefully keep things a bit cleaner and maybe allow questions to be answered faster or at least not missed.

We are separated into 6 categories. Primary, Everything BUT, member's builds, Member's bikes, repair sources and write ups, and for sale.

the primary forum should be used for bike related questions and help. Anything that asks for assistance with your bike should go here.

The Everything BUT is for general jawing amongst members about any other topics, whatever they may be.

The member's build is for those that are chronicling their bike builds to share with us.

The Member's Bikes is for showing off your ride, whatever its condition may be. We don't care, if it's a bike, we wanna see it!

Repair sources and write-up is used for posting instructions on how to do something or other sources that give info on how to do something. For example, Konging a frame would go here. This area can also be used to discussions about how to do certain things, such as methods for bleeding brakes.

And finally, the for sale or want to buy section. Pretty explanatory I think.

If there are any questions, let me know and Tools, Luke, or I will get back to you on it.

And the biggest rule of all, we are like brothers and sisters here(we do have a couple women), you can disagree on things but you should always try to respect each other.

Ride on!

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

MarkPBG
I knew all my posts were too much. At least I think I had most of them in the right place. I've been trying to clean my own up too….instead of posting 12 unique threads with oddball motorcycle finds from the internet, I have been trying to add the later finds to the original thread as replies. I think that helps.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

                                                         O.K.
    In " options " I just hit " move topic "
 then enter" members builds " that would put it were it belongs
    So let me and others will know  this is the right way to move were belongs
  Let me know if this is right or please move it fer me TANKS...Piute....

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

Mark, your posts are welcomed. Don't feel like you're over posting. If you have something to contribute, please do so.  We all need to find the balance sometimes.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

There have been, so many good threads going on here lately, with a lot of good technical info. However they are getting buried. We need to dig these up, and organize them. For instance there was the thread on rebuilding the CV carbs on the DOHC models, and I posted a how to do it on changing fork seals, and installing duel disc front breaks. Then there are links to things like the youtube video by Sully's Garage on rebuilding master cylinders. I wish I had the organizational, and computer skills to do this, but if, you have seen pictures of my garage it is apparent I don't.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

It is pretty easy Tools. What you do is find the topic you want to move, then open a second tab in your browser and click to the forum you want to move the topic to. For example, the rebuilding forks topic, in your second tab, go to the repair and write up forum and copy the address in your address bar.
Next, go into the topic itself and click options at the upper right and then click to move.
A box comes up asking for the URL to move the topic to. Paste in the address you copied and click ok and it is moved.

It sounds like a lot but once you do it once, you got it.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

Piute

                                            I did it  not bad for an ole guy

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

MarkPBG
HEy Piute! Now I know what you look like….you should put this in the thread for pics of members too.
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

There is a "what do you look like?" thread on here somewhere.I think it was in "everything but..."

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

   I've got nothing to hide,
Will hit 50 this year and good for at lease 500k miles before next gal-B ?
has been posted there Shinyribs,
Probly what messed up are forum
now have to move to ole fart over 50 topic
 Got an Idea

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

lol Piute broke it!

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

cityslicker
It was all pretty explanatory I thought, though I realize my intro in the primary kind of turned into my build thread. but that change was supper organic. So I pardon myself.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

That's what I am referring to. A lot of threads start out to be one thing, but then will turn into something with great information. I think we should have a thread similar to the "parts sources" to post the links to the threads with good information.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

Piute
  By just entering the word or words in the search no mater were it will come up,Also understand most aren't on here but to ask 1 question or A sale item also,then not post again or post that it was done or sold those get lost,but some come back thru search even though 3yrs old(bike / person ?)
 I wont to think that some of us will change the subject line a bit and simply move it ,like I did,
  Look at the area and subject line now,easy to see some need to be moved,Like my build Hey back in July it was a Members bike, but spend lots of time on here so went more to BUILD ?
  Then every-member would be considered A "build",I'm never going to stop.It's my Hobby.And so are computer graphics n designs.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

Tools,youre an admin.Cant you just create a sticky of the threads that are needed most often?Like dual disc conversions or how to rebuild a certain item?I guess that would create a lot of sticky's though,huh?I suppose the search feature works pretty well really

Re: Forum Posting guidelines

SECTION8
Roger that, my whole world here is the Q&A anyways. I always have something to ask.
Army Combat Vet (Iraq 2005-2006) 4th Infantry Div.
1981 Honda CB750k

Re: Forum Posting guidelines and FIRST TIMERS

FIRST TIME HERE?

Welcome to our forum.  There is no registration process per se.  You are welcome to post from the get-go.  However, we would appreciate the following guidelines for our new users:

1.  While we tend to focus on the SOHC and DOHC CB750s from 1970-1982, other similar makes are up for discussion.  This helps when people are building choppers/bobbers/cafe bikes, and non-factory parts are mated in.  Me personally, I drive a '84 Honda Shadow, but I did have a '79 CB750L.
2.  The search bar on the front page of the forum is your best way to mine this site for information.  Start with something general "carbs" for example, then refine your search with model year, part specification (choke, cable, linkage, float, etc).
3.  If the searching doesn't help you to your satisfaction, then by all means post to the group.  We would ask that you give as much background info as possible:  model, year, miles, non-stock parts, condition, what's wrong, when did it go wrong, what wrench/hammer did you have in your hand when it went wrong, etc.   We would also ask that if this is a build project, you put your posting in the Build section.  If you just got a new-to-you bike, put that posting in Member's Bikes. If it's for sale, put it in the For Sale section.
4.  We're a pretty easy going group here. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different personalities on this forum, and like any Internet-based thing, sometimes what's being said doesn't always come out as intended. Bite your net.tongue if your feelings were hurt.  If so, respond to that person with a Private Message (PM) rather than in public. Most times, that will save everyone's sanity.
5.  As you work on your bike, and get it running, you may come across a tip or procedure that might help someone else.  By all means, do post it.  Also, if you asked a question about your bike, and someone offers a solution, please follow up on that posting to see if it resolved your issue, or not.  Like most communication systems, there is a beginning, middle, and end.  You may have fixed something that another newer member hasn't tried yet.
6.  The goal of this forum is to share information, experiences, and opinions about our bikes.  There's something very satisfying about getting a pile of aluminum, steel, plastic, and rubber back together, and cranking the starter, and hearing it come to life. Then comes the riding...even more satisfying.  Then (if you wish) comes the customization. Don't be afraid to solicit an opinion about a tank, or a seat, or bars, etc.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns about this message, or this board, feel free to contact Re-Run (who pays for and hosts this board), TOOLS (collector, mechanic, and keeper of all knowledge), shinyribs (fabricator, insomniac, and all around good guy) or myself (scribe, engineer, ne'er-do-well).  We are here to serve.

Re: Forum Posting guidelines and FIRST TIMERS

Jebbysan
Great set of rules.....

Hope to help out and chat with you all soon....
Do your replys post to E-Mail?

Thanks!
Jebby
1979 CBX Super Sport Special
1980 cb750f Super Sport Special
1966 Corvette Sting Ray 327/350
1985 El Camino 383 stroker
2010 GMC Sierra

Re: Forum Posting guidelines and FIRST TIMERS

cdaiscool
You can turn on or off the posts to e-mail. If it's on, and you reply, it'll post to the original thread.

You can see this when you see posts such as this one: http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/1981-CB750K-Repair-Tune-up-tp3846604p4039472.html

You can see my reply, and then the e-mail that prompted that reply.

Or am I missing out on the question?
Turbos, Hondas, 4-bangers, what could go wrong?

Fuelly

Shiny: [...] Considering the weather you've had to put up with I'd say you get an Iron Butt award and a Frozen Nipple trophy to go along with it. First time I've ever posted the word nipple... it ends here.