Forum work 2-20-17

So, I created a testbed for the forum as to not screw this one up. I am still trying to figure out how to best divide things up into categories. I don't really want to have 1 area that we just toss all the bikes into, I think that would get too messy. I am trying various forum styles to see what I can do.

Just wanted to update you all. Once I have a style I think will work ok, I'll let you all know so you can check it out on the test site. If it is acceptable, I'll start to upload the manuals and such.

Re: Forum work

free2ride
Hey Boss:

I know that you like Nabble . . . and that it would probably be a lot of work [a hassle and a half] to transfer everything to a new site, or even to have 2 sites going . . . but have you looked at proboards?
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Forum work

Well I have thought about moving to a new forum host. nabble seems kinda limited, yet most like how this one looks. But yes, I think moving things over might be a huge hassle, not to mention trying to carry over all the users.

Re: Forum work

So I have found I cannot merge sub-forums. So I will need to move things manually. I will be moving the content from Member bikes, to Member Builds. Main reason is it is  smaller section, by about half. After that, the name for the sub-forum will be changed to reflect it is for bikes AND builds.

I will likely be creating sub-forums called Honda Twins and Honda Singles. I could do 1 called Honda 4s, but I think the main forum will just stay as-is because of its size. I will just likely pin a topic to show it is for all Honda 4s.

TOOLS, if you get bored, I'd be perfectly ok with you moving some of the posts from member bike to builds. I have been deleting those with no bikes in it, or just a simple hi message with only 1 post. Otherwise, I'll slowly go through and move them.

Re: Forum work

That sounds like a good job for Shiny As I do not know how to move things. But I do know how to deleat things.

Re: Forum work

Moving is easy, if a little cumbersome. Click the thread, over on the right, click "more", then click to move. It opens a page to put in a url and that is where you put in the destination. So what I do is copy the url for the sub-forum and then past it in. As long as I dont accidentally copy something else, I can keep pasting over and over.

Re: Forum work

What is a "URL"?

Re: Forum work

He guys. Got some emails that some of my posts were deleted. That's fine, but I couldn't see what had been deleted. Just wanted to make sure nothing hit hacked.

I'll try to pop around and help out more. Little under the weather with a 105° fever. I don't remember the last ten hours at all. Not a good time for me to be clicking buttons! lol

Re: Forum work

Or spelling.  Hope you get feeling better soon. The flue has been going around Kansas City here this week. They call it "Type B Flue" The schools are all but empty right now, and they are talking about canceling school for awhile here.

Re: Forum work

I have been moving posts from 1 sub to another. And some didn't have any contact, meaning the thread owner had deleted his stuff, so I deleted that whole thread since it didn't have any tech info in it. That sends out a message.
You might get a couple more as I weed things out. I am moving just about everything, so if it is cut, it was really empty!

Re: Forum work

I can delete things, I am good at deleting things.

Re: Forum work

OK, so I got members bikes cleared out. I'd say 95% of those posts made it over. They are now all under the section called new members, members bikes, ect.

So, now, I should be able to add in the sections for twins and singles. The main will stay, as is and be used for all honda 4s.
I guess I could separate things more, but that would add a lot of sub-forums.

Re: Forum work

Just keep it simple. I do not do complicated very well.

Re: Forum work

Ok, as people have seen I have a section for the 350-650 fours, twins, and singles.
I have also started uploading things I have found. Mostly in the fours. However, if people have any website links, you can post them in the parts source topic for the sub-forum in question. Also, if you have pdf files for certain things, you can click "more" right about the message box. Select "upload a file" and it opens a small popup in which you click "browse" and then you can find the file in the window that opens. Once you have the file selected, click "ok" and then click "upload".

As I can, I will move these uploads into the thread starter, along with the rest of the uploads.