Hard Starting

79scooter
 My 750 is not a daily driver and will sit for at least a week before driven...It starts very hard and
 sometimes the battery seems low and the water in the battery evaporates.. any ideas?? dave

Re: Hard Starting

blackhawkrider
For the battery if it still has life in it, a battery tender will prolong its future lifespan and you always have plenty of charge to kick it over. What does it do when you try and start it? Choke seem to work? Also how much water is battery loosing?

Re: Hard Starting

79scooter
Thanks for the reply! Interesting that You should ask about water loss in the battery..it loses
 quite a bit if i don't ride the bike more then once a week(which i don't and know that i should)..
 I do have a trickle charger..Should i leave that on?...i was afraid do do so..maybe fry the battery?...
 The bike is a weekend rider(in mint condition) oh and the choke works fine..Another thing if it's ok
 to ask...It's got a clutch rattle that i'm told is normal (leave the clutch out...rattle...pull in no rattle...
 then when i take it for a long hard ride and stop....no rattle at all! ..... normal?? thanks....dave

Re: Hard Starting

blackhawkrider
Yes the rattle is normal, leaking battery is not. Most trickle chargers can be left on all the time and not fry battery. They automatically keep charge at ideal level. I know the rattle bothers me too but appearantly not much can be done to fix it and its harmless so I just chock it up as bike character. So once your bike is started it runs well? Does it have hard start because of weak charge or some other reason? Oh and what do you do to refill battery?

Re: Hard Starting

79scooter
Hi.. You asked if the bike runs ok after a hard start... Yes... it has a bit of a hesitation in i think
 second gear when cold but smooths out nicely after running it for a while....The water for the
 battery..i use distilled.... After talking with a battery guy who delivers Interstate batterys to our
 dealership (i work at an auto dealership) i can get one of those and i understand they are
 excellent batterys.... and really? i think i need to ride the bike more... thanks... dave