Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

...after you've came off of it?

Its an interesting mixture of sad and funny.

Low side at 50 MPH in loose gravel due to being crowded by a minivan or suv, I'm not sure which. Seems me and my trusty CB slid together for about 50' until my foot finally wiggled out from under the bike. Then she slid, bounced and skidded another 75 feet or so. Sounded horrible!

One scratched bar end mirror, one scratched / bent kick stand and one busted ignition cover full of gravel.

Alpinestars saved my feet,anlkes and lower legs. Firstgear saved my hands. HJC saved my noggin. My jacket really saved my left elbow when I felt it slam in to the ground. I have a bit of rash still, but I really think it from the backside of a snap that is on my jacket sleeves for adjustment purposes. That will be removed and sewn now.

I always wondered what crashing at speed on pavement felt like. Not as bad as I thought. More surreal than scary. But I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, too. Not even sore.

Folks, listen : Gear. Buy it. Wear it. Period.

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

free2ride
glad to see you came out of it (mostly) OK.

I guess the van/SUV kept right on going.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Another friend of mine has been in the hospital for over a month now because he was crowded off the road by an ice cream truck. Glad you fared better. And yes I have watched my bike slide down the road before. If you are going to crash, the low side is the side to take.

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Truck
Glad to hear your ok.  Years ago I had to lay down a friends R6 to keep from t-boning a semi. I remeber getting up afterwards and not being able to stop shaking for 20 minutes.  Guess its truw what they say about bikers - there are 2 kinds, ones who have laid down their bikes, and those that will lay down their bikes.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

rich
I'm glad you are okay and the damage to the bike is minimal. Great reminder to dress for the fall and not the ride.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K
77 GL 1000 x 2
77 CB 550F
Holton, KS, US

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Well, never down a road! Plenty of dirt though.

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Thanks guys. Yes, the van / suv never stopped. Which is best. I doubt I'd been very friendly to them. When I saw them on my side of the road I knew I was going to have to cross over a foot-wide path of gravel to avoid eating their fender. I was optimistic for a miracle, but the rear never straightened out. It kept fishtailing. I thought to myself "I ain't letting this sob Buck me on a high side off this bank." So I just grabbed the left side handle bar and laid it down before it flipped highside on me.

Glad I was turning left. My pipes are on the other side.lol

Whole left side is as sore as a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Funny how it takes a day for that to sink in.

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

sgtslag
If you can find one, an engine guard bar can be a leg/life saver:  the bike will slide on the guard bar, not your foot, and the bike will not drag you down the road, by your leg!  They will also protect the bike's engine a bit.

I've had four low-sides in my life, thus far.  Two were on my Honda.  Two resulted in pulling nearly every muscle in my body -- got narcotic pain killers both times.  Last time was the fastest:  ~40 MPH.  I slid with the bike for some distance, then I realized I'd better let go.  The bike sailed away from me, and went quite a distance after I stopped.

Even the inexpensive gear will save you.  My son was my passenger, wearing an $80 armored jacket from Leatherup.com.  He ground through the sleeve, and halfway through the foam armor pad, but his elbow was untouched.  He had road rash on both thighs, and buttocls (wearing blue jeans only).  My chaps protected me, as well as my armored jacket -- I had a small scratch on one knuckle, which was my only injury.

Chaps get a lot of bad press (I've seen the gay guy wearing chaps, and nothing else, please don't post it, or any such -- Thank You!), but they work, and they are very inexpensive ($70-$80 for a basic pair).

I would rather be laughed at, than cried over.  YMMV.  Cheers!

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

free2ride
sgtslag wrote
I would rather be laughed at, than cried over.
I like this one!

haven't had the "pleasure" . . . but my son was cut off by a gas truck that crossed the highway in front of him, and down he went.

broken bike [totaled], broken ankle, broken ego . . . we count it fortunate that this was all.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

shultz_1978
Wow Drop in to see what is up and this. Good to read you walked away Shiny, The bike is fixable.
The big thing is that you did not get any major damage and rolled away on your own two feet,
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Thanks Shultz! I just wanna make the bike run again now.

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

I am very glad you are OK.  Any fall on a motorcycle is not fun, even if you're not moving.  All The Gear, All The Time.  You never know when it'll happen.

You were going to replace/upgrade all those broken bits anyhow, weren't you?

I think I wanted to take the crash bars off of my bike, but I think I'll leave them on.

Hope and pray you heal up, and get back on the saddle again.

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Thanks Luke. And thanks for the prayers too,bud. I always say a little one when I throw a leg over my bike.

I was visiting my Mom recently and she saw the lil spot of road rash I have. I had already decided she didn't need to know about this since she hates the idea of bikes. But...she asked point blank if it was road rash.

Me- "Um...what? hahaha *nervous laugh*"
Ma- "You know I am married to your father...I know what road rash looks like."
Me- " Try not to worry about it. OK?"
Ma-

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Hellbilly429
Glad you're alright Ribs

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Thanks buddy. How's your bike coming along?

Re: Have you ever watched your bike slide down the road...

Hellbilly429
Just updated thread last night, still waiting on my regulator rectifier to come back from warranty