Help me find a piece of material.

I'm looking for yellow or amber color round tubing. Solid stock won't work. Acrylic, Plexiglas, Perspex or whatever you know it as.

I need 1" o.d..Length is not an issue as I only need a few inches and I'm sure anything found will be sold by the foot.

Wall thickness isn't critical, as long as its not flimsy. Probably will be a standard thickness of around 1/8" anyway.

I've found blue, green, red and clear. No yellow or amber. Yellow is ok as long as it's deep. Think turn signal yellow rather than butter or something pale.

250 points for whoever helps me find this! Thanks!

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Beekeeper
Could you make what you need out of aluminum and have it anodized the color you want?  Not sure what it would cost for that service.

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Nah, I need it to be translucent. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Try this.
http://www.amazon.com/Translucent-Amber-Miniature-Polyimide-Tubing/dp/B003TLNL5I

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Wow. Looks like it would work great, but those sizes are tiny ( largest was around 0.07'') and the prices were already past $100 on several of them. Thanks, but I bet 1'' o.d. would end up over a grand.

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

cardinal430
I can't see where anyone has asked, but what's it for?

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

I have an idea to make some bar-end turn signals. This will be my lens material.

I might go with clear tubing and a colored bulb, but I'd rather not.

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

How about an amber colored pill bottle?

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Towards the bottom of this site I found some smaller ones that are not too expensive. Maybe what you are looking for? http://www.eplastics.com/Frost-and-Color-Acrylic-Tube

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Thanks Rerun. Looks like 2'' o.d. is the smallest size for yellow tubes on both those sites. Awesome links,though. Thanks!

Tools, I'm cool with a pill bottle if the size and color is right. Whatcha got?

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

It might be hard to find something. I thought about plastic molding or injection but that seems to be pretty expensive. I haven't looked around much though so you might be able to find something small and cheap that would be just enough to do the job.

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

How about THIS???
(unless it HAS to be plastic...)

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

I will get a few in the mail to you.

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Luke, thank you! I'm not opposed to glass. I know it can be sanded and polished with "normal" tools. Cutting it might be difficult. Tile saw,I reckon?

Tools, thanks man. Glad I got a pillhead buddy. ;) haha

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

sgtslag
Depending upon how much effort you are willing to invest, there is translucent Liquid Sculpey polymer clay.  You can tint it however you like, but you would need a mold to contain the liquid, until it bakes solid in your oven.  Here are a couple of links:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_cEJSixfO4; and http://www.sculpey.com/product/sculpey-translucent-liquid/.  Cheers!

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

18Bravo
I had a similar dilemma. I wanted to make turn signals out of the 40mm grenade casings shown below.  My plan was to use plastic easter eggs as a mold, (they have a great ogive shape perfect for the actual grenade) and to pour liquid resin tinted amber into the shells.  Once it cured I could simply pull the shell off of my lenses. Tinting resin is ridiculously easy as well - just use food coloring. A little goes a long way. As it turned out, I discovered Texas does not require turn signals, so I used the casings for pop up gas caps instead. I'm 100% percent sure it would have worked though, so I'd love to see if you could do something similar.

 photo DSC07844.jpg
I put the "G" in Jihad.

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

cooper83
Just use the clear that works for you  and paint the inside with Amber or yellow translucent paint?

Re: Help me find a piece of material.

Thanks guys. All good ideas!

Tools, the pill bottles ended up a touch too big. I'm temporarily abandoning this project since I went a different route on this bike, but I'm still wanting to make the lenses.