Help with starter solenoid

doodlebug
I did something stupid and need help.
This spring I bought a 81 CB750F (that wasn't the stupid part). I picked it up CHEAP because it wasn't running. Fresh Gas, a bunch of carb cleaner, and a set of new plugs and it was on the road. However the starter solenoid was bad. My local Honda dealership parts guy didn't know what a starter solenoid was so I ended up finding a universal one elsewhere and installing it. Then the problems began. Every time I would pull the clutch in whether the bike was in gear or not the neutral light would come on. So I assumed it must be the way that solenoid was wired so I started playing with the wiring configurations. If I moved the wires front to back it would blow the fuse. However moving them side to side seemed to make no difference the bike would still start. About a week or so down the road the bike quit me. Turns out I fried the CDI Ignition modules. Probably because I have the starter solenoid wired backward because I didn't note the original placement of the wires (I know...stupid). Long story short I found Ignition modules on eBay and found the correct factory starter solenoid on the local Honda dealers website (idiots). All I need to get the bike on the road again is the original configuration of 2x2 4 wire plug that goes on the starter solenoid. Descriptions or photos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

Re: Help with starter solenoid

Welcome to the forum. Wish, you had came here first. I have an 81 I am parting out, and have all those parts. If, you do not have a manual yet, you can download it from our manual section. I will try to get some pictures up tonight, or in the morning, of the wire connections.

Re: Help with starter solenoid

doodlebug
Did you get a chance to check out the wiring configuration on that 81 cb750 starter solenoid. There is a handful of other parts I would be interested in from that one your parting out.
-Throttle. Mine is loose and turns on the bar. It's screwed up I've tried fixing it.
-Right side Fairing Bag. There is also a plastic tray the bag snaps onto that sits inside the front fairing. Mine was missing. I need black if they came in more than one color
-Starter Solenoid. I haven't bought a new one yet I was thinking of going online (because I'm still mad at my local dealer) but there $100
-The plug for the starter solenoid wires. Mine required modification to work with the solenoid that screwed my bike up.
Let me know what you want for that stuff. I got to hurry and get this thing back on the road our riding weather is quickly fading.
Thanks

Re: Help with starter solenoid

Sorry, My AADD kicked in, and I forgot. I have the harness laying in the garage,  I can not find the solenoid. I still have the throttle control. I'll PM, you later.

Re: Help with starter solenoid

I am still looking, for the solenoid. I know I took it off the bike, but I have 4 bikes in pieces right now. I do know how the wires connect though.
Red/Green goes to the diode.
Red? Yellow goes to the starter switch.
Red goes to the ignition switch.
Red/White goes to the reg/rectifier.
I did dig out the throttle control. I will check it out tomorrow, and make sure the switches are working. It definitely needs some cleaning.

Re: Help with starter solenoid

I checked out the throttle control. The switches work. I would take $25.00 shipped. Still can not find the solenoid though.

Re: Help with starter solenoid

doodlebug
Any luck finding the solenoid?

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I checked out the throttle control. The switches work. I would take $25.00 shipped. Still can not find the solenoid though.
1995 KZ 1000 P-14
1982 GS 750
1979 CM 185 Twinstar
South of Edan (Kansas City MO)

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Help-with-starter-solenoid-tp3223889p3254257.html
To unsubscribe from Help with starter solenoid, click here.