Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
Let me start by saying I have been lurking these forums for a few weeks now. I am all so proud to say I have not needed to ask a single question. I know nothing about motorcycles, but I found this thing in a basement and offered a guy $400.00 for it. Bike would fire but not idle. I used the information on this forum to rebuild the carbs. Bike is running amazing now. Here is some pictures. Thanks for all the awesome guides. TOOLS you are the man! Feel free to comment.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

I'm sorry. I feel like I have gotten you into this mess, so how about I just give you your $400.00 back for it, and we will still be friends?

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
Ha!! Isn't she pretty....I'm thinking of maybe painting tank and fenders a matte black with a candy red pin stripe. Not sure how I would like the flat black with the clear coated frame. Any opinion?

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

I think the paint that is on it is pretty cool.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
I'll take another picture of the face of the tank later....it's not so cool...Has a giant "Christie Sue" on it...

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix wrote
 "Christie Sue"
LOL

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
as promised.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

Have you ever heard of stickers?

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
Not sure if you are insinuating that it's a sticker but it isn't.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

No. Put a sticker over it.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

Duct tape.
Hooker Headers sticker.
Sunflower decal.
Peace sign sticker.

Steel wool applied back and forth, erasing the name.

Too many other options to list here.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
ahh, I might do something...Idk what I would want to put on it...maybe a nice big zombie haha, or the AIR HOLE panda.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

Zombie's are cool. Or how about a "National Grape Popsicle Week" sticker?

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

Wanna make a nice but quick change on the front end? Take off that little fender brace that goes to the back of the front fender. Took mine off and it was crazy how a small thing like that made such a big change in looks. Also, it doesn't affect handling or fender operation.

Doesn't really go with the black fender anyways!

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
I was thinking this sticker as a good cover.
I'll check out the fender thing tomorrow. I think the only change I want to make are the bars and seat. Seat is to small for my big ass. Any suggestions on a quality comfy seat of the same style.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

You could just tell people that it was supposed to say "Christ Saves" and the painter messed up.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
I think I'll pass on that one haha.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

xghandix
Figured you guys would like to see what my bike looks like now.

It's running a lot better than what it was.

Still having throttle response issues. I can also see the accelerator pump squirt gas through all 4 when the carbs are off the bike. Only the middle two fire when the carbs are on the bike. Any heavy twist of the bike below 3k rpms will kill it. Above 3 RPMS it will try to die and restart itself, almost as if you were to unpause it. To lean?  Any suggestions?

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

Looks like you removed that little fender brace. How do you like the look?

It does sound like it is too lean. But you say only the middle 2 fire. That could indicate an ignition problem as 1 & 4 are on the same point/coil.

I would turn off your fuel and pull the plugs and lay them against the fins and try cranking the bike over. Make sure the run switch is on. You should get spark from all 4. 1/4 are on 1 coil, 2/3 on the other. Verify you have strong blue spark. I would also double check timing and point gap.

If ignition seems ok, then move onto carbs. Low idle stumble can be from plugged idle jets. Only real way to clean them is to pull them from the carb bodies. You can do this by putting a bit of rubber/cloth/something thick enough to not tear easily and offer some grip. Grab with pliers and pull them out. You may have to twist and pull. Just make sure you do not  move them side to side, that is when jet seats get cracked. I have done this method on my carbs many times with no problems. Just be careful and you should be fine.

Once out, use a strand or 2 of copper wire and clean every hole. Then spritz with a bit of carb cleaner. Beware, the cleaner will shoot everywhere so protect your eyes. Or do it in a rag.

Make sure every hole is open.

Without knowing more about the what you have done, I could give the whole clean carbs lecture. But you can put the jets back in if you want. I would also lightly seat your idle mix screws and then turn them back out 1.5 - 1.75 turns.

Another question is what air filter you are running. Pods make things pretty lean. I have had good luck with K&N filters in the airbox.

Just checked and I see there are, or were, pods on the bike. Definitely turn out screws 1.75 turns to start with.

Give us more info and we can give you more tips.

Re: Hey all 78' Cb750k new to forum

If the accelerator pump is squirting all 4 carbs with the carbs off the bike, it should be squirting all 4 on the bike. Unless you somehow plugged two nozzles while installing the carbs. On the running problems, what you describe is all caused by a vacuum leak. Your boots between the carbs and head are most likely dried out and not sealing.