Home built CDI

Daddyman
Well my dad's CDI went out on his cx500c.  Shopped around a bit an found out the CDI's are really expensive, but while searching for a better deal I came across this

 http://rajamolor.blogspot.com/2008/07/honda-cx500-cdi-schematic-2.html

    I ordered the parts for around $25 and put it together, well it was more complicated than that because I had to learn about the schematic symbols and directions of flow ect.  To my disbelief the old CX500 fired right up!  I still can't believe I pulled this off but it works.  I dismantled the old box to try and see what was wrong but couldn't find anything, the weird part is that what I built looks nothing like the factory box?  any way just wanted to share
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

Your going to have to translate that, for me.

Re: Home built CDI

Very cool.Thankx for the iinfo and thank you for sharing

Re: Home built CDI

Peterwh
You must be pretty pleased with that.  I couldn't get past looking at the diagram.  If you don't mind me asking, what is a CDI?

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman
Capacitive Discharge Ignition it fires the coils
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

Capacitive Discharge Ignition

Re: Home built CDI

No speakie thee diode

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman
Here is a pic,
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

cityslicker
Oh you actually made it.. thats rad, does it work?

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman
Ya amazingly it does work, looks nothing like the original.  Guess electronics have changed alot in 30+ years
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

cityslicker
how much did that cost you to build?

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman
$25.00 With a box to mount it in.
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

cityslicker
I'll give you 30 to make me one. and just mark where I would solder the leads in..

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman
HAHA Nice try, It took me all day to make that thing.  BTW it only works on a cs500 as far as I know.
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

cityslicker
NERTS

Re: Home built CDI

Big round of applause for Daddyman!  Wow,after seeing the pic i am super impressed...any Uni-bombers in your family history???

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman
Photobucket
---1976 CB750F CAFE---
     Florence, Colorado

Re: Home built CDI

Daddyman...aka...the mad scientist.    Where did you get the parts?Radioshack?

Re: Home built CDI

Piute
 That does look like one dangerous cracker

Re: Home built CDI

 sometimes you are just too much!!!good one
12