How do you make pipes like this?

The general process of cutting pieces I understand, but the color of those seams? A certain material? Specific processes to obtain such a smooth ''seam''? I dunno, but I need to learn how because it looks amazing. Any info much appreciated.

Re: How do you make pipes like this?

that does look neat. My guess is that it is standard pipe metal but it is not chromed. Maybe anodized pipe with polishing to make the pattern. I will have to enlarge the pic to look closer, but that is my guess. I haven't seen it before.

Re: How do you make pipes like this?

I'm fairly certain they are weld joints. I did some research and I'm thinking maybe it is silicon bronze brazed vs actually welded. Not sure at all, but still on the hunt.

Also, just an FYI ( not trying to be a smart butt at all), anodizing only works on aluminum,magnesium and titanium. Obviously aluminum and magnesium are not suitable for exhaust pipes. Ti is, of course, but I'm pretty sure anodizing is only applied in a bath. Meaning it can't be striped.

Re: How do you make pipes like this?

I don't know about the metals, but anodizing can be removed, depending on the anodizing.
Had, well still have it, an old rc10. It had gold anodized shocks. Yeah, it could be worn off. Now, a hard anodizing maybe not.

Aluminum does get used for exhausts, but seems to be mainly on cars, especially drag.

If they are weld joints, aside from looks, I don't think they would have any sort of advantage and would take a ton of time to make.

Re: How do you make pipes like this?

You're right. Anodizing isn't permanent. It's more of a stain than it is a coating. Sunlight will bleach it and, of course, just regular wear and tear will abrade it off.

Aluminum is fine for tail pipes,but not headers. AL melts at a little over 1,200*F and exhaust temps at the cylinder head can reach that easily.

Now, not saying that this is a definitive answer(s), but I did find these:

A little reading has told me that sil-bro with MIG is extreeeemely easy to overheat/underheat. But, doable.

And.... Quoted from here.
"On the back-side of the flange, Jack prefers to weld/braze the joint utilizing a silicone-bronze filler rod. This technique has been successfully used in NASCAR Cup headers for many years. The lower welding temperature of this process makes it less likely to over penetrate. In addition, the softer bronze metal gives the weld joint some resilience helping absorb the vibrational energy transmitted from the engine and chassis. And finally, the smooth golden appearance of the silicone bronze gives the header a beautifully detailed look."