I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

slownugly007
The airbox has always taunted me and screamed "throw me away"...so I did!! And let me tell you I LOVE IT!!!

It all started with me rebuilding the carbs, I used the Randakk rebuild kit and it worked like a charm, everything in the kit fit perfectly. I highly recommend them to anyone!

I had read on the deuces wild site that 75/110s were the "magic" jets for running pods, so since I had the carbs apart I went ahead and ordered new ones and threw them in, along with the recommended 3 1/2 turns out on the pilot screws.

After getting the carbs squared away and hooked back up on the bike, I ordered a set of the K&N pods for my year model. Deuces wild also suggested taping each pod up 75% to create vacuum in place of the airbox. I wrapped them with black electrical tape until only 1/2" of the filter material was showing.

My next upgrade, not sure if it had anything to do with the pods but it definitely helped the bike, I installed CBR F2 coils and wires. And boy what a difference it made for the bike! The bike fires right up and has tons of power. They are fairly cheap on ebay and I would suggest the upgrade to anyone with a DOHC bike.

I took it out for a test ride today and it ran like a scolded dog!!!!!!!!  Plenty of power and no noticeable flat spots...pure awesomeness!

Here are some pictures of the set up and the taped pods to help anyone out if they are thinking about doing this, I also made a custom battery box and mounted all electronic components under the tank to clean up the triangle a bit. I think it looks a lot better! If you have any questions just let know and Ill see if I cant point you in the right direction. Later guys!

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!  The only reason for the airbox is to supply vacuum for the CV carbs.  Taping up the filters would have the same effect.  Jet change, mixture change, makes sense.

Nice clean looking bike.  My compliments.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky 1
You did not tell us the year of the bike.

Taping up the pods does not create more vacuum.
It limits the air intake area which is what the stock air box does.
Vacuum is created when the piston travels downwards creating a suction.
Look at the opening on the stock airbox. See what I mean?

To prove this... put your hand over the intake manifold with the carbs off of the engine.
You will feel the suction when you kick it over.

BTW... If you have the pilot air screws out 3.5 turns you need a larger idle jet.
at 3.5 turns out they might just fall out.

The slide needles probably need adjustment too, especially if you get hesitation when opening the throttle quickly. EDIT: After reading that PDF for those late model Vacuum operated carbs it seems that adjustment of the 1/4-3/4 throttle is by changing the primary jet instead of the needle. IT accomplishes the same thing and is easier to do.
Good news.

On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

seestheday
fyi - 3.5 turns out on the DOHC isn't that bad.  Based on what people say about the SOHC's I think the DOHC ones turn out a lot more.  I believe the FSM recommends turning them out to a max of 3.5, but they will turn out 5.

Slightly bigger jets couldn't hurt though.

Slow - I'm STOKED that you got pods to work well, and will likely follow suit.  I have a pair of Accel coils, and after I get my bike back together stock I'm going to first put them in, followed by painting the tank, then do the pods.

What kind of battery do you have?  Did you have to go with a gel battery because it's angled like that?
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

seestheday
Damn, I just read this thread that you should check out.

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'm trying to get a copy of that manual, and it might mean you could remove the tape from your pods...
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Half-Caf
seestheday wrote
Damn, I just read this thread that you should check out.

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'm trying to get a copy of that manual, and it might mean you could remove the tape from your pods...
Sees, you either need to stop posting links to that site or I need to register over there
Probably the latter as it sounds like they have some good DOHC info.
My plan: Lurk there and post here
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

seestheday
This post was updated on .
I lurk there and post the interesting stuff here. Since I own a k my questions are not really welcome there anyways...
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

seestheday
Slow, I read this (http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45863.0) and thought of this thread.

I see you have the K&N's on there, so you should be ok, but this could help someone else.
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Honda750Cafe
Guys,

I wanted to attached K&N jet recommendation for using there pods on a 79 CB750.  17077_inst.pdf I increased there recommendation by 10% because I have a stage 2 exhaust (Vince & Hines 4 to 1) so I'm running 98/125 for my jets and the bike screams.  My pods have no tape on them and the bike breaths great using the factory carbs.  The fuel mixture screw is set out at 2.5 turns.  I hope this info helps and good luck with your build.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

motogrady
Administrator

Man, thanks for putting that up.
I'm running 75s and 110s, using a modified airbox with a 4x1 exhaust, and still feel like I could go bigger.
After reading how big you went, I'm thinking more also.  Thanks again guy.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Please put that PDF in the home page, in the Manuals folder.  It'll save some time.  Thanks in advance.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Honda750Cafe wrote
Guys,

I wanted to attached K&N jet recommendation for using there pods on a 79 CB750.  17077_inst.pdf I increased there recommendation by 10% because I have a stage 2 exhaust (Vince & Hines 4 to 1) so I'm running 98/125 for my jets and the bike screams.  My pods have no tape on them and the bike breaths great using the factory carbs.  The fuel mixture screw is set out at 2.5 turns.  I hope this info helps and good luck with your build.
 Very nice. Thank you,sir!

                                                                           Too bad the linky no worky.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky 1
That PDF file was very good about late model CV carbs getting a larger primary jet instead of raising the needle. And it is easier to do as well.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Al-X
You totally suck.  I recently made the decision to remove my pods and dig out the stock air box and reinstall it because I didn't want to fiddle with jetting.  Had to hunt down a K&N filter to boot.  Well, good for you, then.  I hate you.  Massively...

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Glean as much info as you can from that other site and what ever you all know. Post it here in whatever form, I can convert it to pdf and combine it all into 1. This is good info to have!

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Just throwing this up here for people looking at pods on CV's.

I just received a set of CV's off a buddy's '81 F. These are the pods hes was using on them.

 I don't know what brand/seller these pods are from (I need to call my buddy that I got these from),but the carbs are just the stock ones off his '81 CB750 F. The needles are non-adjustable so, as far as we know, they are the stock needles. Jets are 140,68,35. Air screws are 2.5 turns out. Pulls to redline  HARD and has no bogs or flat spots while you are riding. It does have a weee lil bit less of the snappy feeling it had before, but I may need to tweak the air screws a touch to get the fine tune on that. Very,very little pop on decel. Pretty much what you'd expect with a fairly open 4-1. Air cut-off valves are still in operation. No foam inside the pods or tape on the outside(obviously), just using them straight out of the box. Literaly, just pods and a re-jet.

I'll have to really ride the bike and rack up some miles before I will say with confidence that "pods are working on my CV's'', but as it stand now (after 20 minutes of flogging it in the mountains) well, pods are working on my CV's

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Attila the Drum
i have the exact same set up.  Worked great for a year...Really... and then suddenly #2 is giving me a lot of popping

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Attila the Drum wrote
i have the exact same set up.  Worked great for a year...Really... and then suddenly #2 is giving me a lot of popping
Air cut-off on that carb failed possibly?

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Truck
Shiney, did you ever find out the manuf. of those pods? My 900 came with the same ones and I've been curious who makes them.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: I GOT PODS TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Ramrod
Where can I get that other air filter looking thing under the pods?
12