I bought me a Harley

Cabreco
Well I have a new addition to the pen, a 1990 Electra Glide Classic.
Happen to come across it on Craigslist not far from my new home.
It has 47K miles and the engine & trans were rebuilt 1,800 miles ago.
The PO has back issues & now rides a trike and "didn't need 2 Harleys"
The best thing is I got it for $5k.

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: I bought me a Harley

"It has 47K miles and the engine & trans were rebuilt 1,800 miles ago." That one must have been made on a Wednesday to have gone that far, or was that the second rebuild?
Congrats.

Re: I bought me a Harley

Gratz on the find! While HD isn't for me, too much chrome and weight, I hope it gives you years of memories. That is the point of a bike after all!

Re: I bought me a Harley

Truck
now Tools be nice. It's a proven fact that 95% of Harley's ever made are still on the road...... The other 5% actually managed to make it home.......
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: I bought me a Harley

Every one I had was a great riding bike, in the back of a truck.
However I do have to be thankful for all my Harley's. If it had not been for them, I would not be the mechanic I am now.

Re: I bought me a Harley

shultz_1978
 You guys crack me up. lol be safe out there no matter what you ride or push.
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: I bought me a Harley

Cabreco
TOOLS1 wrote
Every one I had was a great riding bike, in the back of a truck.
However I do have to be thankful for all my Harley's. If it had not been for them, I would not be the mechanic I am now.
TOOLS
After 2 years I will have to concede the Tools was 100% on the money...
Harley's are great for honing mechanical skills. NEVER AGAIN!
This is how she sit's today, and usually ON THE LIFT!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: I bought me a Harley

Welcome back. You are missing the required cleaning supplies around the bike on the lift.

Re: I bought me a Harley

Was one of the breakdowns the shift lever that attaches to the shaft from the transmission stripping the splines?

Re: I bought me a Harley

Cabreco
I replaced that lever (the rod survived). The bar between the lever and  the shifter pedal. The from belt drove socket. The rectifier. The drive chain gasket.  Electrical wiring. Starter. Breather valve. Etc etc etc sigh

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, May 25, 2018, 8:56 AM, TOOLS1 [via Vintage and Classic Honda's] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Was one of the breakdowns the shift lever that attaches to the shaft from the transmission stripping the splines?

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/I-bought-me-a-Harley-tp4061040p4063398.html
To unsubscribe from I bought me a Harley, click here.
NAML

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: I bought me a Harley

I have that same bike on my lift right now because the shift lever is stripped out. The whole primary drive unit needs to be removed just to get to it. 1/4" more clearance and it would not be a problem to fix.

Re: I bought me a Harley

Cabreco
Tools there is a company that makes a shifter lever made to replace the old when the rod splines are stripped. You don’t even have to remove the primary casing to get to it. When I get back on Tuesday iwilllook for the link

http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/I-bought-me-a-Harley-tp4061040p4063400.html
To unsubscribe from I bought me a Harley, click here.
NAML

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: I bought me a Harley

Thanks. However, I still need to remove the one that is on the bike.

Re: I bought me a Harley

Cabreco
Tools here's the link to the shifter:

https://www.betterlever.com/product-category/transmission-lever/

And here's a link to a video:

https://youtu.be/G2VzbIyflRA

https://youtu.be/HsZeHiV__Bk

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: I bought me a Harley

Gabriel Barnes
Very nice ive got a 04 night train my fifth harley

Re: I bought me a Harley

gareth06
Congrats! Harley is a fun bike indeed.

Re: I bought me a Harley

Cabreco
Well THAT Electra Glide Is down to PAINT. I spent a few years chasing gremlins and now I'm at the point of soda blasting & repainting...but that said,

We too the '84 Yamaha Venture to Tail of the Dragon last fall. Now remember this is a tall bike (I am not) and it weighs 1150 Lbs with all it's bling & I am getting too damn old to lift this beast!

So when we came back my wife says to me: " I want you to buy us a new bike from THIS century!"

Now who am I to argue with buying a new bike? lol So I searched and found a MINT 2016 Road Glide Ultra with only 3,300 miles on it (the owner died suddenly & the widow wanted it gone) She asked for what was left on the loan $16,000!
Well here she is!

Now Fiona has a new purpose...she is going to be piggybacked on the RV

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: I bought me a Harley

My buddy has a 1985 Venture. It is a great bike. It is light years ahead of any Harley in technology.

Re: I bought me a Harley

Just remember, harley puts in all their manuals, the recommended cleaning and polishing time versus riding time. Something like 10 hours polishing to 1 hour riding! And if you don't do that, well, you still got that lift, right!

Re: I bought me a Harley

rich
I just traded one headache for another.
Traded my 1976 MGB Roadster -
MGBee
For a 2000 Sporty 1200 C -

Been trying to sell the MG on an off for a couple of years now. I think in the long run it will be easier to sell the HD (being in the Midwest, not too much interest in old British cars).

They are both built from tractor parts LOL. I do love the look of the HD though.
89 VN 750A - Given to son-in-law
79 CB 750K-sold 3 May 21
78 CB 750K
77 CB 750K