Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
This post was updated on .
1979 Honda 750,oil light stays on.  Ok with the wire removed  from sending unit...turn key on ....no oil light, touch wire to ground oil light comes on  remove from ground light stays on ?

Re: Idiot light stays on

That is the way it is supposed to work. The wire is hot and the sending unit (oil pressure switch) grounds it to complete the circuit. Either your sending unit is bad, or you do not have any oil pressure. Also, the light is supposed to come on when the switch is turned on, and go out when the engine builds oil pressure.

Re: Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
Thanks for your post...please read my post again......the wire is not hooked up to the oil switch......it is clear of all grounds...when the key turned on ...no light....now when i touch the wire to the case the light comes on...when i remove the wire from the ground the light stays on with the wire in the clear....my first thought would be that there is a short to ground in the wire but  if that were the case the light would come on when i first turn the key  on with the wire clear of the switch or ground ?

Re: Idiot light stays on

Light stays on? It could be shorting through one of the other idiot lights. They are all supplied voltage from a common power wire.

Re: Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
The neutral indicator light and oil switch light are on the same feed , you may have something there ,  I am open for suggestions     Thanks

Re: Idiot light stays on

Rodgil
I had a similar problem on my 1982 CB750F. The wire was shorting out where it passed by the starter motor, which has some sharp edges. It is easy to check by removing the cover over the starter. I slipped a piece of plastic hose over the wire to protect it.
1982 CB750F
1978 Triumph Tiger 750
197? Yamaha DT175
197? Hodaka ACE 100

Re: Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
I will give that a try  thanks for your suggestion

Re: Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
The wiring cheked out ok around the starter , still checking   ...thanks

Re: Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
 Boy did I learn the hard way after tearing into the wiring harness looking for a short in the wire...I found a thread  on line ( Ohio Bikers Forum 2015.....Oil Lght problem ..HELP )....If your oil light stays on and it is not the oil switch...Check the Tail Light sensor located on the left side  under the  plastic side cover ...It could be bad or something as simple as your tail light bulb is burnt out................

Re: Idiot light stays on

Was that the problem? I know some bikes have a feature like that, but never heard of that on a CB750.

Re: Idiot light stays on

macadoo61
      It is called a (warning assembly stop...part # 38570426772 ) when I unplugged it the Idiot light started working properly and also the front brake lever would not activate the brake light untill this was unplugged.........