It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic
So I bought these two bikes for $250 (not bad, I know).

The one on the right is the titled bike, and the one in the back is just for parts and some other random what not. That 'what not' includes a seized engine I've decided to rebuild, and the other one I'm trying to sell right now. (Why not keep the running engine, you ask, really I just want to learn how to rebuild an engine, and I have a friend who's overseeing the operation so that I don't mess anything up too bad). Here's where that's at:

Was hoping to get away with honing the cylinders but the corrosion was too bad so I have a shop boring it out right now. Then I'll be tackling bottom end, then paint and reassemble. (I'm sort of going all out, telling myself I'd have a bike I could sell for quite a bit of money later on -- whether that will actually happen is another story).

Here's the latest shot, before I took most of this business off and got the engine out (at the moment it's almost just the bare frame):

Still unsure of a lot of details, sort of learning as I go. I've jumped from messing with electrical stuff to full rebuild… and I'm certainly good at pulling stuff apart, as for putting it back together, I might need some tips and tricks…

Here's what I'm trying to approximate, of course the finished bike will be a bit different.

I recently saw a bike online with a red painted frame. A nice look. Any thoughts or warnings?

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

I sometimes have to wonder what previous owners are thinking when they mod their bikes. This person lowers the rear and then adds a thicker seat. Puts on higher bars then removes the fender brace. All while having a vetter on the front.

I hope you don't have too much of a nightmare on your hands! At least the tank still looks ok.
Good luck on that cafe, and maybe think about adding a second disk on the front. We have the write up on how to do that.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic
Hey Re-Run,

 Haha, I know, the guy I bought it from, a really nice, nice guy, but sort of a dummy with the whole thing. I'm no expert, I don't claim to be, but there's a whole series of janky modifications on this bike and things that would strike anyone with common sense as just outrageous (I pulled the triple tree off yesterday, the retaining nut was finger tight, lol, I hope he never rode the thing).

 It is quite the project, and the first for me of this proportion, but as most mechanic types will say (or anyone with a skill for that matter), you learn by doing it - so I'm learning as I go.

 That fork apparently was actually one off of the supersport (I don't know where he picked that up), and I'm actually trying to sell it. The original for will be going back on, and for how rough that bike on the left was, someone must have put a brand new rotor on it before they decided to store it for ten years, quite the gem.

 Thanks for the comments. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic wrote
Why not keep the running engine, you ask, really I just want to learn how to rebuild an engine,
That's a fantastic reason.

Good luck on your project. I'll be watching. I'll try to chime in when I can help.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic
Just giving you guys an update. Engine down and out, cylinders being bored, rods out (which was a bitch: vise gips, heat, and a lot of sweat), have a new head on the way (which ended up being cheaper than valves, machine work, etc.), and so here's the engine, ready for masking and paint:

Then I cut a few things off the frame and sanded that down. Looking more like a wannabe cafe already:

The plan is to put the other engine back in (I'm sort of doing this backwards, but learning as I go), mock up the frame and weld the exhaust bracket on before having it powder coated -- hopefully have that done within  two to three weeks as well. (By the way, any tips and tricks for a nifty spot for an exhaust bracket? It's a 4 to 1).

After paint then reassemble this engine, put all these covers back on I've been polishing, etc., drop it in and then start the actual modifications and such. Sounds easier in theory.

Looks like I'll need a wiring harness too. Here's what the poor guy did to this one:

I know a read one of the posts on here a while back about building wiring harnesses, and you guys saying it wasn't actually all that difficult. Any reference points or starting points? And also, did somebody in that same post mention somewhere I could get a 'kit' with assorted wire rather than buying spools upon spools of lots and lots of wire? Thanks again in advance. Glad I got someone to share this stuff with.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

Here's how I did a 4-1 on one of my old bikes:

Kept the muffler off and ran just the header. It's light enough it didn't require and bracing.

But it WAS too loud, so I made this lil muffler to slip inside:

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Homemade-muffler-using-stock-parts-td3420689i20.html

I did intend to put some sort of bracket to support the rear tip of the header but, after well over 10,000 miles and zero issues, it never gave any problems.

I loved the way that bike sounded,too. I honestly miss that particular header.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic
Thanks Shiny. Nice looking bike too.

I'm wondering about that little bracket though. Does it sleep behind the brake lever? I couldn't quite tell from the image?

And what's up with that tank? Really nice.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

The bracket in that thread that Lucky mentioned is just a universal type deal. But I never ended up putting one of the bike anyway. Never needed it. These headers on these bikes ( especially the ones on that bike) are super thin and light. There's not really much weight there anyway.

That tank is of a Suzuki GS. '78 I think? That tank and those headers came from Kansas City Motorcycle Emporium. AKA: Tools.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic
Guys! I missed you! After a long and cold Wisconsin winter, things are back under way. (I really need to start renting a place with a decent garage...)

Everything takes so long anyways for a newb such as myself, but finally I got a few things done: Eastwood engine enamel - flat black:

Tonight or tomorrow this guy will be getting torqued up. (New studs, pistons, and cam guide and all that done):

And just a cool detail:

   (I found the hardware at the local... hardware store, thought it was pretty sharp - then again, who gives a shit about the oil pan! ;)

I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks for being awesome.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

Truck
Looks good! Ebay has stainless steel screw kits for these bikes that look damn good with the black engine, just an idea.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

JFunkadelic
Truck,

 Could you actually link me to one of those? And do you mean all the screws in the case? (I would presume). Thanks dude.

JTM

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

Z1enterprises also has them, and they are very reasonably priced. And yes they are complete sets for all the covers on the engine.

Re: It will be a cafe racer...

Truck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Engine-Bolt-Set-CB750-F-79-82-NGSS-775-/321738412521?hash=item4ae91a91e9&vxp=mtr

Here you go. This is just one of many sets/brands.