1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Hey guys. Just joined the site. I have read numerous topics. Glad there is a place like this. I have a few great forums for my car hobby but it seems bike builds are harder to find.

  So I got a 1979 750 and knew nothing about them. I liked the styling and sound. This will be my first personally owned bike. I've ridden dirt bikes and such but never a street bike. There was quite a lot missing and or damaged on my bike. I figured rather than chasing down parts maybe I can change it up a but. I am doing a lot budget build. Just basically doing the essentials and cleaning the rest up and putting it back on. Parts have been hard for me to find locally. Seems they are all over eBay though. Ill try and see if I can figure out how to post some pics up for your viewing pleasure. You all seem like a cool bunch. Feel free to pick mine apart and or stop me from creating more work for myself if you think I'm doing something wrong. When it comes to cars I know my stuff. Bikes is all new to me.

I am going to need

Stator cover and assembly
Tach wire
Grips
Handlebar switches (mine are broken and glued)
Mirrors (I want something more modern and not so bulky)
Small and newer style rear brake lift and turn signals. I'd like to pick your brains and see what you all went with.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Baz

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

Baz
Congrats on the bike  and definitely a warm welcome to the site, we are in the same boat and this site is a wealth of information for me..

cheers
Baz
"Life is just for living"

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

I'll trade you a stator, and cover for that Trans Am.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Haha. Thanks guys. TOOLS1 I think ill hold off for a slightly better deal. I appreciate the offer though.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

The tach cable shouldn't be too hard to get, but will run about $30 or so. Ebay would be fine for that, especially if the seller is selling a oem honda part.

Any grips do the job really, it more comes down to personal preference. Thick grips made of soft rubber might wear a bit faster but will provide better grip and vibration dampening. Get grips with holes on the ends.

Then get yourself some bar-end mirrors. They are smaller than the stockers by quite a bit while still allowing you to see behind.

I haven't changed out signals or tail light, but dime city cycles has a lot of stuff like that. As long as the # of wires mtaches what you have now, it should work. LED bulbs require either an electronic flasher capable of handling them, or loads so they flash right.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Thanks for all the tips. Looking forward to getting this done and enjoying it.

Is the rear master cylinder rebuild able? If so is it worth it or is there a better option? Mine is complete corroded and rusty.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

It all depends on the extent of corrosion. You can dismantle it though. Once cleaned, you can then see if a rebuild is possible or if it is too far gone. The manual should have steps on pulling it apart.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
I think ill shop for a replacement as a back up plan.

So one of my ignitors is fine and the other is melted. I bought two from eBay and they were listed in good condition. They are also completely melted. I've read that the melting means they will stop working soon and also that the insulation was actually not good enough to withstand the heat and if I add a better high temp epoxy to them that they will be just fine.

Seems everyone has had these melt
What's the deal?

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Hey guys. What fuse goes in here ?

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

That is your main fuse, and takes a 30 amp fuse.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
Thanks. Is the something the dealership can find for me? The previous owner had something plugged into there and then a weird wire loop screwed into te two screws.
 I need help on something else. I am unable to find any really helpful pictures of the battery area. But I've found a few and I can not figure out what is supposed to plug into the braket by the battery. Here is the picture I am looking at.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

Any auto parts store should have that fuse. Sorry I can't help with the missing plugin thingy.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

Beekeeper
Are you talking about the bracket for the storage tank for the crank case vents?  Hard to guess which bracket you are talking about.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

JustinM85
It's the bracket that connects to the battery box. I have the two ignitors hooked in but there are two more spaces. The bike was pretty torn apart when I got it and I'm at a loss and wondering if I'm missing something. If you look at the pic I uploaded it is the bracket with all the white plug ins. It's vertical.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

Beekeeper
The three plugs are regulator, regulator, rectifier.  I have an unmodified 79F I could probably take a picture of if it would help you, but it would probably be just like what you are already seeing on the web

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

motogrady
Administrator
yo

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

motogrady
Administrator

Here's a quiz for the day.

Find the super duper, top secret modification that get's this bike 52 miles a gallon, and let's
it run like a cat with a tail on fire.

It's in the pic.

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

Beekeeper
ummmm  coil relay bypass, and rider weighs in under 175?

Re: 1979 750F Super Sport

motogrady
Administrator

nope, and nope.