Just picked this up

halfwing
Just picked up this 1981 CB750 Custom. Hoping to get it running this year and start on total restoration this winter. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing but got the bike for 400 dollars so I figure I don't have a lot to lose. Ignore the date. Changed batteries in the camera and did not set it.
Dave
Racine, Wisconsin

http://jones1030.blogspot.com/

Re: Just picked this up

halfwing
Forgot to say thanks for the manual section. Found one there that hopefully will help me out.
Oh Yea, Thanks in advance for the answers to all the questions I am going to ask here...
Dave
Racine, Wisconsin

http://jones1030.blogspot.com/

Re: Just picked this up

wvhardtail
Good luck Dave! At least yours has an engine. Picked mine up today without one. Nothing like a bike project.

Dave (too)

Re: Just picked this up

halfwing
Yea, I saw the picture. Wanna make a bet on who gets theirs running first?  LOL
Dave
Racine, Wisconsin

http://jones1030.blogspot.com/

Re: Just picked this up

wvhardtail
Nawww! I'm thinking you got me on this one!

Re: Just picked this up

halfwing
Finally got around to draining the oil. When I removed the oil filter housing, I found the spring and washer that were supposed to be there missing. I also had to literally cut the crush washer off the drain bolt. I was able to find all the parts I need at this site. http://www.bikebandit.com/. I love this site. They have original parts drawings and numbers from the manufacturer.
This damn thing holds as much oil as my Wing does.
Dave
Racine, Wisconsin

http://jones1030.blogspot.com/

Re: Just picked this up

wvhardtail
Bike bandit is fantastic. Z1 Enterprises is a good place for parts as well. I have sent them e-mails just asking for advice and they respond immediately. On a side note I found a 73 donor bike and got it running this week end. So did I win? Good luck.

Dave

Re: Just picked this up

halfwing
Yes, you won! I went on a trip to Vermont and just got back today. SHould try to start mine this week after I fill it with oil. I just received the filter and gaskets I needed.
Dave
Racine, Wisconsin

http://jones1030.blogspot.com/

Re: Just picked this up

wvhardtail
Cool, took mine apart cause it was smoking. Should have the new rings and gaskets and back together this weekend. Then some paint and incidentals and back on the road.

Re: Just picked this up

halfwing
There will be no starting this beast for a while. I took off the tank to drain it today. What came out was closer to lacquer than gas. It is 10 years old after all. When I removed the petcock assembly, all I got was the petcock. Everything else was missing. And a LOT of rust inside. I'm sure glad my goal was to get it started by the end of summer and not anytime sooner.

I didn't realize how messy my garage is till now.
Dave
Racine, Wisconsin

http://jones1030.blogspot.com/

Re: Just picked this up

wvhardtail
That's a great smell, isn't it? Wish I had a garage. Worked my whole last weekend. Not going to get much done this weekend either. Good luck.

Re: Just picked this up

ferroussphinx
thats funny because i thought the same thing when uploading my pics
about the messy garage that is lol
1973 honda cb750 and learning
New Castle indiana

765 524 7573 call/text day or night
pstockton@hotmail.com
skype; ferroussphinx/paul stockton
these are the ways to get a hold of me so  do it if you want to

skype; ferroussphinx/paul stockton
these are the ways to get a hold of me so  do it if you want to

Re: Just picked this up

I know all to well about the mess situation. I just wish I had a garage. But until then I will make do with the living room.

Baz

Re: Just picked this up

Baz
hey how did your project turned out? I am just starting a 1980 Custom build myself with 8months to complete..
Baz
"Life is just for living"