Making straight cuts with a lathe

I got my quick change tool post in the mail the other day and ,as most of you probably know, they come with an oversize plate for the t-slot and have to be milled to fit your machine. Well,I just got this lathe and I dont own a mill. I've been waiting for a chance to get this milled for me but I had an idea tonight...and it actually worked!

I drilled a hole in my face plate to accept a 1/4'' bit. Then I drilled and tapped another hole for a 1/4'' bolt to use as a set screw to hold that bit.

I have a cross slide vice that I use with my drill press.Remember the "Hillbilly Mill"? It's not a very good one. It's an $80 cheapy from Northern. It doesn't run straight,but the gibs set good and it does sit solid. So I went to work getting it mounted to the carriage of the lathe.Well,the top half of it anyway. I set these two blocks of metal down to space it off of the ways for the compound.The carriage of the lathe gives me one axis left to right,the top half of the cross slide gives me the other.

The top half of the cross side has this hole cast in it that worked out just right for mounting.

I slipped a bolt through the center of the carriage with a heavy washer underneath to clamp the top half of the cross side down.

Lo and behold,the durn thing was actually rigid enough to work! Uhh,first pass the bit wasn't as sharp as it shoulda been. I'm still learning how to grind these things.I've been told it's a lost art. Well,it's definitely lost on me.

After fiddling around I finally found an angle that seemed to work out alright. Not a bad cut if I do say so myself I'm on cloud nine right now. I can't believe this actually worked out this well! woo hoo!

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

Necessity is the mother of invention. McGuyver would be proud.

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

shultz_1978
I would have a say very primitive but effective. That is a very interrupted cut. Nice job.

Whats Next. Toys tools same thing . You have got to love them
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

shultz_1978
Is that not like what is called a fly cutter?
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

I would say "you just jerry-rigged yourself right out of the perfect excuse/reason to go out, and buy a mill."

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

shultz_1978
 That was good. I did not even think of it like that. Just because we , you have the ability or know how to make something work. Should we ? More tools.

Good one Tools
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

LOL Yes,that is indeed a very interrupted cut! I still would like to have a mill. This only gives me two axis',where a mill has 3. I can face off a part,but I can't notch. Not yet at least. I do have a plan in the works for notching. Time will tell if it works or not.

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

robs750
What you made was a fly-cutter!

I have used a mill as a lathe also.
Place the round stock in a collet and hold the tool bit in the vise.

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

Deer Slayer
Good work there, necessity is the mother of invention! You used to be able to buy milling attachments from the lathe manufacturers. I've got an old Atlas lathe manual laying around some where that has a section on them. They worked pretty much the same as the set-up you came up with.
1972 CB750k
1973 CB350 Twin
1975 CR125e
1969 Z50a

Re: Making straight cuts with a lathe

Thanks Don! Those old manuals are great. When I got this lathe it came with it's manual form Sheldon. Lots of info in there!