Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Crys wants one.  Not real happy about her driving something that small on the interstate everyday,but she does need something that gets decent fuel mileage.

I was just wondering if they have any issues to look out for. I have zero experience with these cars other than noticing the unusually high rate of attractive women that seem to occupy them.

Thanks for any info!

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

I had a friend in North Carolina that had one. He loved it, and he was 6ftX6ftX6ft 300lbs.

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Truck
I've had several friends with them. They are pretty fast for one thing. The biggest thing to remember Is that they are build by and with BMW parts. They are woderfully engineered and built and will last a long time. But when things do start to go wrong you better have DEEP pockets. Parts for these things are outrageously expensive.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

They are definitely cute and zippy little machines.  I'm still partial to the British ones, the Mini and the Austin America. Shameless plug coming up: if you're after a mileage machine, look at the new Nissans.  We have one this week while we're on vacation, and this Altima with a 2.5L engine and CVT trans is getting 35 mpg in town, and over 40 on the highway. LOTS of room, too.  Granted, it isn't as sexy as the Mini Cooper, but...

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

shultz_1978
The BMW's and mini's are not that bad if you do the work your self. I have had two BMWs bought most of my part here http://www.bavauto.com/ they even sell mini parts. You can get a lot of cool stuff for the Mini. There is a video on you tube of a twin turbo chewing a Corvette a new. Awsomer  Just sayin
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Thanks for the info guys.

I've been asking around and 30 mpg seems to be the norm for them .

Luke, that Altima seems like a much better option. Thanks for the heads up bud.

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

No worries.  I keep wondering why the other automakers are making 7 and 8 speed transmissions, when the CVT by Nissan seems to work very well.  Maybe it's a licensing issue or royalties.  I'm thinking the CVT likes a good torque source, so how about a small turbo'd diesel engine of 1.5L displacement, driving a CVT, and letting the CVT do all the work...

Just one of the things that simmers in my brain every now and then.

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Diesel engines are so overlooked in America its pitiful.  Of course now that the Turbo War between the big three has turned diesel trucks into a fashion accessory fuel is getting more expensive. Small diesels in commuter cars is where its at. We just can't wrap our narrow little minds around it.

Ever driven a diesel Jetta? I...hung around...a chick that had one once. Upper 40's- 50+ MPG highway and mid 30's in town. And that car would rip!

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Murrayf
my wife has  a 2012 cooper s convertible

we have had it since new it is a fun little car and handles nice

BUT it is not a good car on gas lol its a thirsty little guy

with the ac on here in NC it doesnt get 25 mpg average closer to 20

my m3 bmw and ford ranger v6 are better on fuel

and even though it has factory 6 year warranty bumper to bumper

it has been in the shop for all sorts of little time consuming things

and last comment even with tire rotations and my wife not being an aggressive driver it eats a set of

expensive run flat tires in about 30k miles at the cost of 1k a set

next time i will do all i can to have her get a new bmw

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Wow. That is a lot of reaaly great info! Thanks Murray. You helped out a bunch. I might just steer her away from these things. She really likes them, but apparently they are not as affordable as we thought.

It surprised me how low the resale value is on the private market. Mid to late '00 models with 100,000-150,000 are selling for $5-6k in super clean condition. I guess lower initial cost could offset the fuel mileage, but I'd still rather see her in something a little bigger to run the interstate everyday.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

seestheday
I always thought that you were really just paying for the badge with a 1 series or pretty much all lower end BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc cars?

Aren't parts/repair costs MUCH higher than if you bought a similar Nissan/Ford/Honda/Toyota/GM/etc, but you end up with pretty much the same car?
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

shultz_1978
Just some thing I have seen with the higher end Cars "AKA" BMW are the only ones I have owned. They were way ahead in the 80" then Ford, GM and Dodge. Had a 84 and a 87 BMW. The elect. system in those car were so easy to fallow it was unreal. Yet if you lock anything on the car every thing locked both doors, trunk and even the gas door. The heated seat was just a air duck that came out under the seat but it work really well. They told you when to change the oil, your mpg, had the economy lights and was still straight forward to work on. I think all newer cars are harder to work on and take more time. But I will try my best to do things my self be for I pay some one else to. A car really is all in what you want. "just sayin" I would love to get a new BMW I think they a the ultimate car if you must have a new family car.

I still like old school Chevy  or a Ford truckswill. They told you when to change the oil, your mpg, had the economy lights and was still straight forward to work on. I think all cars newer cars are harder to work on and take more time. But I will try my best to do things my self be for I pay some one else to. A car really is all in what you want. "just sayin" I would love to get a new BMW I think they a the ultimate car if you must have a new family car.

I still like old school Chevy  or a Ford trucks. My two cents
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Truck
All I can compare to is the BMW I had. I owned a 87 325. At the same time 2 of my friends had a mustang GT and a Camero RS, both the same year as mine and all about 10 y/o. My performance, economy,handling blew theirs away. Yes parts where more expensive but they fit! I had to change out the head gasket, when I put the heads back on it was like I didn't even need the bolts everything went back together so snug.

I have friends that are into racing all different kinds of cars and I love tinkering and going to the tracks. I my opinion Anerican cars still have a long way to go to catch up with the german cars. Hell, even Lamborgini is having the mechanics of there cars designed by Audi.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Mini Cooper- Any experience?

Heeeyyyyy..... You better back off of my Chevy's bub!