Tire milelage?

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
I'm sure its been discussed before but how many miles are you guys getting out of a rear tire? I got about 2700-2800 miles out of the tire that was on my cb. It was on when I purchased the bike but it was new. It is a Kenda tire. I didn't think the mileage was very good but I priced that same tire and it is a cheap tire. Does the more expensive tires last any longer? This is a factory size tire. 1980 cb750f
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: Tire milelage?

I dont know if it is the price that makes the difference or the compounds used. I know the Dunlops i had were super hard tires and not a cheap tire.The go for about $125+ depending on where you find them. Being a hard compound they wore like iron. I put  4,000 + miles on them and they weren't phased. But traction was poor if you corner very hard at all. The Shinko 712's I have now are soft and handle fantastic! At $135 installed for the pair they are kinda cheap.I have close to 1,000 miles on them (maybe more) and they havent showed any wear yet.But the tire guy told me they should be good for about 3500 miles max.We shall see.

Glad to hear you've been racking up miles on that leaf spring! Hows it been doing?

Re: Tire milelage?

I have the 712s too and I really like them. They may not be metzler quality but for the price, they are quite nice!

Re: Tire milelage?

    Tire's Haven't had much time on my Kenda-K761 Dual Sport Tires,but like so far.
  BUT in past HEY I went / go through tire's,
  I like coming out of all turns(stops) hard on the gas,Tire spins but not squeal,
  Sooner I'm out of that situation(dead stop/blind spot target) the better.
   SO have been told that most of my tire wearOUT is from my style of riding.
                     Food for thought.

Re: Tire milelage?

rrgunslinger

I have gotten as bad as 3000 miles on the rear of my ducati monster and up to 12000 miles on the Honda Valk. So far over 8000 on the stock tires on the road glide.

Harvey

On Jul 6, 2012 4:38 PM, "Piute [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Tire's Haven't had much time on my Kenda-K761 Dual Sport Tires,but like so far.
  BUT in past HEY I went / go through tire's,
  I like coming out of all turns(stops) hard on the gas,Tire spins but not squeal,
  Sooner I'm out of that situation(dead stop/blind spot target) the better.
   SO have been told that most of my tire wearOUT is from my style of riding.
                     Food for thought.

Native American from central Cal,  Kickstand down in S.W.Missouri,
                                     Titled N owned;
 6 Harley's,2 Honda's,2Kawasaki's,2 Triumphs,28 vehicle's
 I used and abused them all,But Triumph's sold before could
 NOT A mechanic,          Custom Auto Body N Paint by birth
     But am An Elc oholic                                  >STOCK SUCKS<

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Tire-milelage-tp4024514p4024582.html
To start a new topic under Honda CB750'S, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Honda CB750'S, click here.
NAML
American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg

Re: Tire milelage?

Ghost-Flame
I don't know about the 750 yet, it isn't on the raod. But on my vtx 1800 I get between 8 to 14K on the rear tire. I alwyas buy Metzler. I learned after wearing out a set of Dunlops in just 6000 miles. those cheap tires... are not such a good deal if you are replacing them at every oil change.
1980 CB750C DOHC
It's never too late to start something new!

Re: Tire milelage?

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
Update on my tire testing. I went with the Shinko tire this time around. The cords just poked through this evening. It has 3380 miles on the tire. It worked well every mile. I purchased a Dunlop this time around. It looks like a nice tire. We shall see....
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: Tire milelage?

Beekeeper
I have had the 712's on for about 3000 miles.  They are a sticky tire, good grip, and while I try to avoid the rain, they seemed to do well in wet conditions.  But the rear tire wears pretty fast across the center.  I rode up to Wyoming last week, and noticed the tire looked almost square across the tread when I made my return trip inspection.  The wear seems to be accelerating.

Re: Tire milelage?

Lincoln Highway Bullitt
Yea it wore in the center pretty fast but it thought that was just my riding style.
Making Laps, Twisting the Throttle and Cruzz control, it just don't get any better!

Re: Tire milelage?

free2ride
put 9,300 miles [15,000 km] on my Pilot Activs this summer. all highway, of course, but lotsa rubber left.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: Tire milelage?

MarkPBG
I'm just about to replace my Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax tires after 3000 miles. I was told they're soft compound so that's about what I should expect. I don't really think I want a longer lasting tire if it means I have to trade off cornering ability, rain handling, and emergency maneuver handling. I'd rather replace my tires than my bones. Of course, if anyone knows of any longer lasting tires that you can ride hard under all conditions, let me know. ;) (there are no chicken strips on my tires!)
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."