My '81 K

modularduck
This post was updated on .
My 750K with hopes and dreams of one day being a cafe.

It's got just over 16K on the odometer and it's nice been super molested. Runs like a top but needs some brake work for sure. I've already changed all the fluids including the forks but am having a hard time getting the air pressure right.

I've order a chain and sprocket set as the current one is way out of spec according the the service manual. Got new brake pads and shoes, clip ons, bar end mirrors, seat, rear shocks on the way.

I would eventually like to do something about the front end. Dual discs are going to be key, but I'm not sure if I want to go all the way to a CBR or GSXR front end. If I can find a decent set of F or C forks I could go that way with progressive fork springs to hold me over for the time being.

I plan to start by lowering the front 1.5" to allow me to put my clip ons on. and giving a little quicker feel to the steering.

SO much to learn and work out coming from the Italian motorcycle world. I appreciate all the information here and look forward to learning from the site and the process.

I also recently discovered in the process of changing my battery that the spark units had oozed out all the protective potting stuff. I read somewhere about re-potting with JB weld working well so I gave it a try and so far it looks to be working well! anyone have any experience with this?

Re: My '81 K

Truck
another option for your front end would be a cb900c front end. No modifications needed and comes with dual front disks.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: My '81 K

modularduck
Excellent Truck! I'll look into that. I am also wondering then, would I need a different front wheel all together or can I repurpose my current front wheel and add a second disk to it?

Re: My '81 K

The DOHC "K" models the front hub is not designed to accept another disc like the SOHC hubs were.

Re: My '81 K

modularduck
Thanks for the info TOOLS! Do the mid 70's 750s have the same size axel and hub as an early 80s cb900c? I would really like to maintain the spoked wheel look though so using the 900c front wheel seems out of the question. this would also allow me to go to an 18" front wheel instead of the 19" but then I would need to change the speedo correct? so many things to consider.

Re: My '81 K

I think you can use an early hub/wheel. I know the width, and axle are the same, but I am not sure if the brake calipers will work with the early rotors. However an early Gold Wing front end will bolt right on, and they will take the early spoke wheel, and discs.

Re: My '81 K

CBGirl
I'm excited to see what your build is like seeing that we have almost the exact same bike and plans in mind!!!
Am i a Tom Boy? If that means that my daddy taught me to throw a ball, change the oil, shoot a gun, and whoop your ass, then yes.

Re: My '81 K

modularduck
So here is the seat I have coming. I pretty stoked to see what it's gonna look like...

I'v been looking at he GL1000 front ends and that looks like a pretty good solution for me. In my read though it seems like the 75-77 are interchangeable and the 78-79 are but not with each other? does this sound correct? either way I'm going to see if any of the local shops here in PDX have a complete front end to take some of the guess work out of it.

Re: My '81 K

The only difference I know of is the 75-76 had spoked wheels and the 77 on had comstar wheels.

Re: My '81 K

modularduck
Thanks TOOLS!

So pretty much all my stuff arrived today so I decided to get to work. First thing was the rear shocks.

original:

new fancy shocks:

I had a hell of a time getting the bushings to fit at first. I struggled with it but was able to just use a socket to seat it enough to get the washer a nut on, then used the nut to seat it the rest of the way and took everything back off to make sure it was properly seated. I had to get different bolts and the U clevis was and 8mm instead of the 10mm of the stock which makes me a little nervous. All and all I'm happy with how it turned out though I still haven't ridden it to see how much a difference it's made. I really need to do my chain tomorrow before I take it out. Hopefully that will happen.

Re: My '81 K

modularduck
I've been super busy with work so haven't had much time to work on the bike. However I have been riding every chance I get. I did this week finally receive my seat. and discovered that not all "bolt on" parts are quite so bolt on. I did manage to get it on for the time being and to really like the look and feel of it. Additionally it lowers the seat height enough for me to comfortably stand flat footed

I have ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit also as I think that may be part of my front brake issues. Though after much reading I think once I lower the front end and 1.5" I'll replace the front brake lines with braided lines and hopefully that will help.