My basket

pipeguy1970
Hi, new to forum, been wanting to do one of these project for years. Just in casual conversation with heavy diesel mechanic at work, I told him of my desire to own a CB750 one day, or even better to tinker with one, this was a bike I loved when I was little kid. He mentioned a buddy of his wanted to give him a 70's Honda for him to fix up, I asked  is it a CB?,750? He wasn't sure, called his buddy, so off I went to look at it. It was just a rolling frame leaning on a tree, the rest of bike was in his shed in a million pieces. His friend said I could take it, he was going to take to scrap yard anyway, he didn't want any money, so he said case of beer would be ok. Us Canadians love our beer lol. When I got all parts home  I started to process everything, almost 2complete engines, the original the drive chain went through both cases, exhaust was garbage, 2 sets of jugs, 1 head, and so on.Ihave a bunch of questions to ask, should I keep all questions on this thread or start new thread? im a bit confused about engine# on original cases, the second set is a later k model which I looked up, also is this considered a K0? Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: My basket

Welcome. You made a pretty good score there. Are you planing a stock restoration, or custom build? The engine with the serial#CB750E-20... is from a "K-2" (1972). The other engine# and the frame# have been altered. Did you receive paper work to go along with these numbers? If not, I would suggest looking into the legalities of them. I do not know about the laws in Canada, but in the U.S. it is a federal offense to alter serial numbers. However I am sure you could find a frame with good numbers to install your engine and other parts into. You can download the factory service manual for free from the manuals thread at the top of the home page here. There is also a thread containing links to parts suppliers.

Re: My basket

pipeguy1970
Thanks for the reply Tools, im supposed to get tank this week, and also the ownership-title. Buddy has them at his farm, considering everything is matching, what's your honest opinion on this resto? I am missing some parts, I combed through all boxes, missing all ignition parts, including spark advance unit, missing stator-generaton and cover, only have flywheel attached to crank, also missing pistons, bike has been outside since 1980, engine parts have been in his she'd, question is should I find something close and swap some parts that are worse than ones I have, complete that bike and part the rest to offset cost? But since I basically got it for nothing I tgink it's still worth to put together, Iven if I make it into a cafe racer, because I also have no exhaust with it, what do you think? Here are som pics of parts, thanks, Fred.

Re: My basket

You have a good start to build an 836cc engine. You can get a piston set off ebay for around $160.00. Another $60-75 for a gasket set, and $200 for machines work. The other missing parts are not hard to find. Or you could find a well worn, questionable engine for around $300 and rebuild it.

Re: My basket

pipeguy1970
Thanks Tools, gonna wait for tank and papers, call a few wreckers, then decide, what to do< thanks for your help.

Re: My basket

Man, that looks like fun. I really need to get back in to the shop.

Re: My basket

pipeguy1970
Hey guys, looking to start stripping engine, ive ben reading a lot in the last few days. my question is how to remove crankshaft shell bearings out of cases? Don't want to damage anything, but have only found stuff about, measuring and determining what colour code to order. Thanks in advance.

Re: My basket

pipeguy1970
Hey Tools, got registration this week, there was no issues with bike, some good news. Still working on tank, called wrecker, they can get me missing engine covers the stator and tranny one, stator,  field coil , spark advance unit, points plate complete, and a seat, for $250.

Re: My basket

That does not sound bad for all that, especially if the seat is in good condition. As for the bearings, just put your thumb on the center, and shove them sideways. They will come right out.