My *new* 1981 CB750K

cheesehead
My first real bike. Bought a KZ550LTD for $700 and traded it for my CB750k here straight up a couple weeks later. Having charging issues (see my post in the other forum if you'd like to help) but I can't wait to get her running right. The odometer reads 4099 miles, but who knows if that is right, the title says exempt from mileage reading. It sat in an old man's shed for almost a year and he said the only problem was the headlights didn't work. I changed the left handlebar control switch with a used one off of eBay and now I have lights. I took the sissy bar off already.

1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: My *new* 1981 CB750K

sgtslag
V-e-r-y nice!  If you don't mind some suggestions...

1) Change all fluids (See #2 & #3, below):  brake fluid; engine oil; and the fork oil.

2) Before changing the engine oil, add 1 oz. SeaFoam per quart (4 oz. most likely, rounding up from 3.7 qts.), to the crankcase; run on the center stand for 5 minutes, shifting through all five gears, while idling (circulates through all of the gears in the transmission); then drain, replace the filter, and fill with fresh oil (SeaFoam dissolves carbon, and varnish deposits within the engine; should only need to do this once every five years, or less often, depending on oil change intervals).

3) Add 2 oz. of SeaFoam to each of the fork tubes, and circulate it through them by expanding/contracting the tubes 5-10 times, to dissolve deposits within the forks (let sit overnight, if you like -- won't hurt anything), then drain, and refill with ATF, or fork oil.

4) Add 1 oz. per gallon of fuel, of SeaFoam to the gas tank:  will dissolve varnish deposits within the tank, and the carbs -- may cause the fuel filter to become partially blocked, so replacing it would be a good idea after you drain the first tank of gas with SeaFoam (try to run it to reserve before filling up again, as refilling will dilute the SeaFoam).

5) Check/replace the air filter.

6) Drain the overflow/bypass tank, beneath the battery [see the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for instructions].

I would recommend a synthetic oil (Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic, 5W-40, is available at Wal-Mart for $20/gallon, used by many with excellent results -- including me).  It will withstand the heat of your air-cooled engine without breaking down to carbon sludge.  It is diesel oil (rated SM for cars; no friction modifiers), which means it has a much higher load of detergents to keep your engine clean.  You can also run it longer than dino oil -- easily 7,000 miles, without concern (longer mileage should be tested with oil analysis).

Enjoy your new ride!  Cheers!

Re: My *new* 1981 CB750K

cheesehead
Thanks for the advice! I will do all of the above once I get the charging issue fixed.
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: My *new* 1981 CB750K

Cabreco
Cheesehead...SWEET bike!

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: My *new* 1981 CB750K

Cabreco
Brian
I uploaded a PDF copy of the 1981 750 K owners manual in case you don't have one.
I put it in the manuals section

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/NEW-Repair-manuals-April-26-2011-Updated-td685918i20.html#a3155584

FIONA
1981 CB750K

Andy
Tennessee

Re: My *new* 1981 CB750K

cheesehead
Wow, thanks a LOT! I will be getting a Clymers soon but this really, really helps right now.

I got my new rotor today, ran to the garage to put it on, then realized that I need a special tool to pull my old rotor off. So I called the local Honda shop and gave them the part number for the rotor puller (07933-4250000) and have to wait 3-4 more business days until I can put it on. I will update my progress when I get it. The tool came to like $17.00 after tax, but I will have it soon if anyone needs to borrow it or anything, lol. Hopefully I'll be ready to ride next weekend. Thanks again for the manual, really appreciate it.

In other news, I will be looking into getting new, better looking mirrors and turn signals if anyone has any sites/suggestions.
1981 CB750k  -  SOLD it and regretting it!

Eastern Ohio, Tri-State Area

Re: My *new* 1981 CB750K

I just purchased new mirrors from vintagecb750.com I am very happy with them.