Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
Hi guys
This is a great site for cb750 fans
Loving the support

My friend owns a 79 cb750z police model
And he has already stripped it and now the restoration process has started

We are looking for replacement carbs and a solid ignition for him
His bike

Can u suggest some vendors and models . He prefers the original but doesn't mind any parts that will help the bike perform better and importantly be more durable and last longer

Please suggest any other parts u might think this would be a good time to change . If u could also suggest where I could source those parts it would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

For an ignition, I think Cycle-X has one for that bike, as well as many other parts. You might also look at Vintage cb750. There is a list of vendors on the forum here you could check out.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
Tools
At this stage the bike is completely stripped off and he is looking to replace sometimes which could be beneficial for the bike performance and in terms of reliability something like preventative maintenance for the future

His mech has asked him for carbs and ignitions
Where do u suggest I look for good new carbs

Tools this is not a original oem restoration project so newer parts are welcome

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

Original type carbs are not available new, you would either need to get a set off ebay, or get a set kehini CR's from Cycle=X The CR's are really good carbs.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
hi tools

visited thecycle x site and found two types of carbs for the cb750

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Rack%20of%204%20Carbs%20Page.htm

CR and mikuni
could u recommend between the two

i couldnt find any DOHC ignitions there but a lot of people seems to use these

dyno2000

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-dyna-high-performance-ignition-kit-cb750-cb900-cb1100-618-861.html

would u suggest this or another model
thank you

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

I would go with the CR's in 31mm with the 823cc kit and CB900 cams. The Dyna ignition is a very good system. Much better then the stock one.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
these seem to be ur top recommendations
so i will advise these for my friends

how much power do u think i would make with these mods/ugpgrades

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

Since I do not have a dyno, I cannot really answer that question. However, it should be able to run with a modern 600cc sportbike.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
tools

the keihin carbs are a little expensive for my friend. i also found mikuni for about 699$
do u have any information on these

https://www.speedmotoco.com/cb750-DOHC-vm34-dual-carb-Mikuni-Speedmotoco-p/km-vm34-dohc.htm

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

I know someone that has been fighting with that particular carb setup for awhile now. It is a welded together manifold, and does not always fit as it should. The Cycle-X twin carb setup with the cast manifolds is a lot better, and I think it will work on the DOHC 750. To make it clear the stock frame rails, you use the stock Honda curved manifold boots instead of the straight ones supplied with the kit between the manifold and carbs. That way the carbs tuck in and clear the frame. You can also get Mikuni flat slide carbs for about the same price.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
i was told by a vendor that the keihin will not work well on a stock bike
my friend has stock bores and exhaust
they suggested to alteast get an aftermarket exhaust

so that is out of the way
i have emailed cycle x for their carb options

do u have any experience with the cycle x twin carb setup on the CB.

also where should look for original cylinder gaskit and other stuff like rear shocks
brake levers , master cylinder etc

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

Hey kar1zma, welcome to the forum. ( I'm late, I know...)

Curious why your pal wants to stay away from stock carbs? The CR's can be made to work, but everyone I've talked to says they suck a ton of fuel. They're primarily designed as racing carbs, and as such, they are designed with only two things in mind: idle and wot. They're not nearly as versatile as the stock carbs. They'll cruise, but not very efficiently, meaning they'll be feeding a little rich and may cause the occasional stumble when whacked open suddenly.

If...IF... your pal is keeping the stock air box the stock carbs are great. Fantastic, actually. CV carbs are completely unaffected by changes in weather, elevation or the occasion tank of bad fuel. But if he doesn't keep the stock air box, forget about ever making the stock CV carbs act right.

OEM's spent time of effort on stock carbs, and they are the most versatile option out there. The racing carbs only really shine on a built motor that actually gets run hard.

You'll never run out of airflow on stock carbs with any built CB engine using readily available parts. It'd take a massive increase in CC's and rpms to do that.

Just food for thought before he dumps close to a grand in carbs.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

I would check out vintagecb750.com for parts.

Re: Need advice on recommend parts for 79 cb750 restoration

kar1zma
thank you for the welcome
the bike is in india and we dont have access to CB mechanics
so he would prefer to plonk in a new carb and be worry free
the stock that he has now is in very bad shape. he tried to replair
it but no luck and finally got fed up of the ones on the bike.

he is not going for any performance mods on his bike if we can find
original stock carbs i am sure he would go for it .
we dropped the plan for the CR and now are talking with cycle x for
their twin carb setup much more affordable at 499$.
could u advice us for these if have information on them

tools sent me a great site for misc parts. so small stuff is taken care of
the dyna2000 ignition is confirmed.

we are just stuck at the carbs

@tools , thank you for that site. im just waiting for info on the carbs from cycle x and we are set for the restoration ( following that we dont have any more surprises in damaged parts )