New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

sgtslag
Link to Vololights project on Kickstarter:  link.

Essentially, it flashes LED's, or your signal, or brake lights, in two different patterns, as your bike decelerates, automatically, to wake up cage drivers behind you.  This device is different than existing brake modulators, in that it uses a decelerometer, to automatically sense decreases in speed:  when you close the throttle, downshift, or maybe just coast up a hill.  It has two patterns, one to indicate a mild deceleration, and another to signal a faster deceleration.  There are different options:  built-in LED's (under development), wired into existing brake lights, or wired into existing turn signal lights.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation recommends/teaches that we should flash our brakes when we slow down, to alert vehicles behind us.  How many of us remember to do this?...

This device is different than existing brake modulators, because it works automatically; with brake flashers, you must engage the brake before the unit flashes your lights, so during decelerations caused by pulling the clutch, coasting, shifting, etc., drivers behind you have no warning unless they see you decelerating.

Just thought I'd share, as it could help protect you, and your passenger, when riding.  I am not affiliated with this company in any way, other than I am a backer.  Cheers!

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

Thats pretty cool idea actually. How does the whole ''backing'' issue pan out?

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

I have some friends that have those modulator thingy s on their bikes. I think they are dangerous and hate riding with them, for two reasons. 1st they are distracting, and people will just stare at them, 2nd they are confusing, and it is hard to tell what they are actually doing stopping, coasting, turning... And I guess there is a 3rd reason. Because it is, so confusing to ride behind them I want to rip their taillights off their bikes, and beat them three quarters to death with them.

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

Shiny, there is no guarantee that they won't walk off with your money.  You have to gauge everything on what you know of the persons offering the product.  They only charge your CC when/if they reach their goal of pledges -- then they charge you.  After that, you have to hope they follow through.

Since it is only $69 for the electronic unit, which can be wired into the signal lights, I went for that level -- I can afford to lose the $69.  I don't know these folks from Adam, but I like the concept, and the price for the wired-in unit, using existing lights.

Tools, don't hold back...  Tell us how you really feel.  [Ducks, runs for cover...  Pokes head out and says:]  "I see that Anger Management Class is really working out for you, isn't it?"  LOL

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

 Yeah,hes totally reserved,huh?

Thanks for the explanation Sarge. That's kinda what I figured,but wasn't exactly sure.

And I can see your point,Tools. Especially is you are riding behind that person for a long period of time it may even make you tend to disregard the brake lights when they actually do come on.

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

Surprisingly, they have met their financing goal of $50,000 -- people came out of the woodwork in the last two days to sponsor it (it sat at $30,000 for a long time). Now it will be 'hurry up and wait', to receive my box.

After I receive my box (fingers crossed -- never done a Kickstarter before... ), and I install it, I will report back here as to what I think of it (will have my son drive behind me to film it in action?...). Also need to decide whether to connect it to the existing brake lights, or wire it into the rear turn signals -- both have their advantages.  Hmmm...  Cheers!

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

sgtslag
Not sure if anyone on this forum decided to give this Kickstarter a try, but after careful consideration of wiring the unit into existing lights, I've decided to add additional, high-powered LED's, just for this light controller.

If I wire the unit into the existing brake lights, I defeat the brake flasher module I already have installed (only flashes the brakes when I apply them, so no lights when engine braking...).  If I wire the unit into my existing signal lights, it interferes with the turn signal functions, should I decelerate when approaching a turn -- Ack!!!  My solution will be to add a couple of 3 Watt Red LED's to my trunk, as additional brake lights:  link.

How do you plan to integrate the module into your bike's light system?  Cheers!

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

I thought it was a stand alone system with its own lights in the tag bracket?

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

sgtslag
It is, but you can also get it as an electronic module only, to wire into your own lights, which is the option I chose (less money, more versatile).  They have not decided which LED's to use in the license frame, yet, and that concerned me -- want lights that cagers will notice, so I looked for, and found, some high-power LED spot lights.  As a system, I really liked that they were open to more than just a single approach, which is why I risked my hard-earned cash on the project.  YMMV.    Cheers!

Re: New Device for improved visibility: Vololights Kickstarter.

Ah,I see! Thanks for clarifying that for me. Your idea makes perfect sense to me.

I hope these guys do well. We need more small business entrepreneurs in this world! Emphasis on small.