New Guy - 1981 CB750C

moparmaniacca
This post was updated on .
Hey all, been lurking here for a bit from the Frozen Great North, otherwise known as Canada. Figured I'd post my newest (old) ride.  She's a 1981 CB750C that I picked up for $800 CDN.  It's in pretty good shape, with 31000kms and looks like it was looked after quite well over the years.

This is how she was when I bought her a couple of months ago, missing some parts, blown front fork seals, heavy windjammer fairing and pretty much in a no-start state:

Still pretty good for a 37 year old bike.

Wiring mess after removing the fairing:

Did some basic maintenance and repair work, starting with giving the carbs a complete rebuild.  Pic is after the rebuild when I was pressure testing for leaks and checking the functionality of the accelerator pump.  The bike fired right up after reinstalling the carbs.  Also, I'd like to slap the engineer that came up with this airbox design.... Jeesh.... literally an hour and a half to get everything lined up and secured.  Even the dreaded Honda v4 carbs are easier to install (less than 5 minutes)!!!

1981 CB750C

Re: New Guy - 1981 CB750C

moparmaniacca
Bought an aftermarket headlight, front signals, coils, caps, wires, plugs, filters, etc....

Made some spacers to center the headlight:

First attempt at making a temporary signal light mount:

Rebuilding the forks:

Pulled the Goldwing bars off that must have been installed alongside the Windjammer.  Installed Daytona bars that fit my 6'4" frame much better:

Yep, tach suffers from warped needle syndrome...
1981 CB750C

Re: New Guy - 1981 CB750C

moparmaniacca
This post was updated on .
All back together.  Repop side cover for the left.  Wish I had the grab bar that goes around the rear of the seat though.  There was a full aftermarket rear rack that came with the bike, so I assume the grab rail got tossed along with the original front lighting/brackets.  Not sure if I want to find a stock exhaust or go to a 4-to-1.  Not much of a fan of this 4-to-2 that on it now, even if it does sound good.  Just doesn't look right.  Still need to replace the front master cylinder with one that doesn't have a canted reservoir.

This was before the fork rebuild:

This is after.  I lowered the forks by 1 inch (internally).  I didn't want to have too much of a negative effect on the trail, so I'll see how this works out when I finally get to ride it.  The trail went from from 4.9 to 4.71 inches, so should be perfectly fine.   Also fabricated new signal light mounts that also serve as the headlight mounting bolts, and re-curved the mirror arms to pull them down and out.

I wasn't looking for a complete restoration, even though it would be a good candidate for one.  Basically just enough work done to make it ride-able, and make it a little more of a better fit for me.  I plan on riding the heck out of it daily, if the winter ever decides to let up...
1981 CB750C

Re: New Guy - 1981 CB750C

Wow! Nice work, and you got it all done today.

Re: New Guy - 1981 CB750C

moparmaniacca
Thanks, ha ha.  I started working on it in December, picking at it here and there, as I have no heat in my garage.  I still need to swap out the tires check the valve lash and change the oil, but it's just too (expletive) cold.  I was surprised to see how many parts sources there are for these bikes, unlike the 86' Ninja I'm playing around with.
1981 CB750C

Re: New Guy - 1981 CB750C

Yea, that (expletive) cold has hindered some of my motorcycle activities here lately to. But at least my garage is heated. I just wish it was bigger.

Re: New Guy - 1981 CB750C

MR Mark
Been waiting on warm up myself,down here in Ozarks
Been to dang cold. Have a ice pond "puddle" to get around
Now. Had the 650 that year, ran the .....out of it up in Baltimore.