New member, looking to buy my first 750 four

New member, looking to buy my first 750 four

HymieP
Just fournd this site and looking around to purchase my first 750 four.  Any hint and or tips on which models to look for and which ones to stay away from.  Not new to big bikes, and have restored small mini Honda's for years.  I like stock looking vintage Honda bikes if that helps.  Thanks
Life is a bitch, riding keeps it in check

Re: New member, looking to buy my first 750 four

sgtslag
I own a 1979 CB750K, and my father owns a 1982 CB750C.  Based on these two bikes, I would suggest that the K models are all around bikes, suitable for riding Interstate Highways, as well as town driving (a little top-heavy, in town, though).  The C models seem to be geared lower (somewhat lower COG, too), and really howl at 55 MPH, and above.  All 1979+ models are DOHC's, and all pre-1979 CB750's are SOHC's.  The DOHC's seem to be more reliable, as well as putting out a few more HP.

To be honest, I love my K.  My wife and I rode it as our primary bike for 4+ years.  We rode it two-up around Lake Superior, in 2009, full saddlebags, full trunk, full fairing pockets.  It was 1,935 miles, with only one mechanical issue, in Thunder Bay, Ontario:  the throttle grip came off in my hand, so we had to visit the local Harley Shop for glue.  Other than that, our 30-year old bike took everything we through at it... Canada was beautiful, but it rained all four days we were there, and the temperatures, in July, were 55-59 F!  Did I mention it was raining all four days?...  We had new, Pirelli MT66 Route tires, front and back, on virtually new blacktop, two-lane, trans-Canada highways -- in the rain.  Bike never missed a beat, traction was superb, and we were leaning pretty good in the curves, as we were suffering mild hypothermia -- we needed to keep moving to our next stop, so we could dry off, and warm up.

This past Fall, we bought a 1993 Kawasaki Voyager (barcalounger on 2-wheels) for our new, touring machine.  We should sell our K, but I really don't want to.  It is a gem, and I like having it around for our day trips.  To me, the K is a superb, all-around bike:  a little too big for town, a little too small for touring, but it will do both, reliably, and and with confidence, if you are willing to accept the compromise.  We modded our K for touring:  added GL1100 passenger arm rests (bolt onto the Shock bolts, as if OEM); upgraded the seat with a custom re-upholstery job; floorboards for the passenger; Progressive Fork Springs, and 412 Series Shocks; added an oil cooler with a thermostat; added Lowers to our Vetter Vindicator fairing.

The Honda CB750K is one of my all-time favorite motorcycles.  It is a fun ride.  Good luck in your search, and welcome to the forum!  Cheers!