New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Hello to everyone. I'm Blake and just joined after buying my first Honda rebuild. It's a 1981 CB750C. In rough shape but only paid $80 for it. Motor turns by hand freely so that's good. Trying not to have to strip it completely down just to get it running. I know it needs a new stator and rotor, clutch and brake cables and levers, ignition and key and battery. Starting with the battery and ignition just to see if I get a spark and it'll turn over. Going to try and load pics from start to finish. Any advice is appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Anyway hope the pics load and wish me luck. I'll also check and see if I can add a pic folder to my profile too.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

I like the custom gas cap and the see through rotor cover.  Good luck.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
I thought those might be some unique features.....lol . Couldn't pass them up.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 22, 2016, at 7:04 AM, TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I like the custom gas cap and the see through rotor cover.  Good luck.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/New-member-with-my-first-CB750c-rebuild-tp4061188p4061189.html
To unsubscribe from New member with my first CB750c rebuild., click here.
NAML

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

Well, I don't know where you are at, so you may not have a real winter. But if you do, given the state of it, I'd tear it down to at least clean it up good and inspect it well. Never know what you might find.

Anyways, welcome!

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Live in south Alabama so I'll have atleast a week of winter to tear it down. Plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 22, 2016, at 9:41 AM, Re-run [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, I don't know where you are at, so you may not have a real winter. But if you do, given the state of it, I'd tear it down to at least clean it up good and inspect it well. Never know what you might find.

Anyways, welcome!

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/New-member-with-my-first-CB750c-rebuild-tp4061188p4061191.html
To unsubscribe from New member with my first CB750c rebuild., click here.
NAML

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

That's not winter! That's "hey it's not so humid today"!

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Well I got her torn apart and found a few things to fix.....new chain, sprockets, tighten up all the lose bolts and nuts, try and remove all the stripped nuts....😡....lol, but I have a question now. The tank has a fuel sending unit on the bottom but I don't see a fuel gauge anywhere on the dash panel. Why would it have that on there? Separate year have a fuel gauge?

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

Does it have a sending unit in it, or just a stamping in the bottom where it could be cut out to install one?
The 77-78 K models had a place stamped under the gas cap lid for a fuel gauge sending unit but did not have it installed. However the same tank was used on the 76-78 A models, and this bike did have a fuel gauge.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
This one actually has a sending unit in it. Bike is a 1981 so not sure what's going on with the tank. Here's a pic.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
I also noticed you can order a sending unit and float for 81-82 but not sure why if no fuel gauge or light. Guess it doesn't matter. I'll just leave it unplugged and use the tank.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

I do not think that is the correct tank for your bike. There is no indication of an electrical part like that on the tank in the parts fich at Partzilla for your year model.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
This post was updated on .
Ok just ran the vin and found out it's a cb750k not a 750c. But upon further searching of pics I think it has been registered incorrectly as a K when it is a C. Oh what fun getting a lost title for this one.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

I have no idea how to visually spot a K from a C, other than the tank. Your tank looks more square-ish than a C tank, but hey, if it fits...it fit's!

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Not sure either but just looking at pics side by side it appears as a C. Also on the frame by the vin it says cb750c. The fairing covers are different from a K to a C so when mine get here maybe I'll know for sure then.....lol. I've got other parts for a C and those won't fit a K so we'll all know as soon as I figure it out. Gonna be a fun one to work on.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

I forgot about one visual clue. Your front axle sits ahead of the forks, K's and F's sit under the fork. Definitely a C imo.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Here's a few updates pics. Got it all torn apart and cleaned. Having some trouble getting the magneto off but steadily working on it all. Going with a Blue Pearl paint. Anyway that's where I am right now.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Ok here's a fuel tank update. The tank is not for my year bike. I orders a petcock for a 1981 cb750c and it is to SMALL for my tank and the fuel line exits on the right side where as mine exits on the rear of the petcock. Any ideas on the year of the tank? Tank does fit the bike so I'm using it. Pics of the tank are above in an earlier post.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

Half-Caf
My guess is that its some variety of a nighthawk tank. I found this one on ebay that looks similar.

Just my guess after doing some google image searching, but maybe it helps.

Where are you located in south Alabama?
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

desperado1971
Thanks for the searching and pics. I agree it's from a nighthawk of some year. I found one from a cb900c on eBay so bought it. Hopefully this will get me up and running. I'll upload some more pics in few weeks. I live in Mobile Al.

Re: New member with my first CB750c rebuild.

Half-Caf
It's the least I could do. Looking forward to watching the build!
I sent you a PM as I am not too far away if you ever need a hand working on anything.
The best things in life are custom
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/halfscb
1980 cb750f SS
Chicago, IL