Not starting after file leak plugged.

smacdo3
So I turned off the fule valve for probably the first time in a long time.  And when I turned it back on fuel just dumped out every where. I took apart the carbs and replaced all of the o rings for the full tube, which apparently were not replaced when "rebuilt" two years ago. This fixed the fuel leak but now the bike will not start.

The bike was running just fine prior to the fule problem. I did not mess with any of the set screws or settings other than breaking the carbs apart and putting them back together.

Any idea what this could be?  My battery is getting low now from trying to get it started.

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

Does it have spark? Is it getting fuel to the spark plugs (are they wet?)

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

smacdo3
I am assuming yes. I just jumped the bike, trying to rule out a partially dead battery, and got it to start by rolling the throttle. Now however it will not idle. I did see another post regarding this so I am going to check that out and see if I can get it going. If that doesn't work i will chime in over there.  Thanks for the reply though.

Scott MacDonald, CDT

On Aug 12, 2012, at 7:53 PM, "TOOLS1 [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does it have spark? Is it getting fuel to the spark plugs (are they wet?)
1995 KZ 1000 P-14
1981 KZ 750 LTD X 2
1987 Honda TLR 200
1982 Honda XL 80
2005 Yamaha PW 50
South of Edan (Kansas City MO)

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Not-starting-after-file-leak-plugged-tp4026960p4026976.html
To unsubscribe from Not starting after file leak plugged., click here.
NAML

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

smacdo3
OK so I read the thread I was talking about it it doesn't look to be much help.  It talks about having to re-jet a bike that hasn't been running in years, which isn't my problem.

So the problem I am having is my 1979-80 CB750 will not idle.  It was working just fine about a 2 weeks ago before I had the fuel leak problems.  I guess I just need some trouble shooting on how to get the carbs to perform how they were previously.  I did try adjusting the idle screw between the #2 & #3 carbs with no luck.  I understand I may need t adjust something to get them to work.  I just don't know what.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Scott MacDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

NAML

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

Is it possible that a piece of trash came out of that old valve and got into your carbs? I was thinking,if you turned the valve and fuel dumped as you say,maybe whatever was left of the o-ring/gasket that died in your valve got lodged in a bad place? Just a thought.

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

pat english
i was thinking the same thing...also wondering why this was the first time the petcock was turned off?..dont you have to turn it off everytime you turn the bike off?...i always have..otherwise the bowls get filled up and gas leaks everywhere..thats every bike ive owned too..maybe new bikes are differant..

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

Not every time you stop. Some guys never turn them off. I leave mine on all day and I have one cracked float that will puke a few drops every few hours( Note: fix that). I just turn it off when I park it for the night. Better safe than sorry.

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

smacdo3
I guess it is possible that something got in the fuel line or valve while working on it.  I will check when I get a chance, but I was pretty careful when putting it all back together to try and avoid that.  I know non of the existing/bad O rings were left on or in the carbs because they are still on the floor of the garage where I threw them in once I determined what the problem was.  Also, since I can get the bike started wouldn't this rule out a blockage?

I can only assume the fuel valve was not turned off for a long time.  I bought the bike about three months ago and I only turned it off after taking the motorcycle safety course last month.  I hear 50/50 from my friends who do/do not turn it off.  While it is good practice, I am not sure it is 100% necessary.

Re: Not starting after file leak plugged.

thorlecelte
CB750c 1982

i ve a lil similar problem.. long story short i ve redone my whole bike .. only thing i didn t touch was the frame , engine block and carbs..
once all plugged back in together with the cafe parts and pipes properly put together and wrapped i tried to start the bike ,...

( bear in mind everything was working properly before i started my project (hence once the pipes , oil and fuel tank back together it should start again.)

it worked fine .. ( after a lil time to get the fuel into the carbs and all .. draining the battery pretty good...)

but was not idling.. ( didnt touch the screw then..)

i left it sit. then finished a couple of things then tried to start it again...

but i forgot to put the petcock ON.. hence drained the battery like an idiot... i started to toy with the idle screw. and have new clue anymore where it was...

now i m charging the battery again to have a new try..

spark plugs are firing for sure . i checked and they get wet when i try to long...
petcock is on, all seems fine... slightly turning on but never fully roar again...or starts..??

i dont get it...?? where do i ve to turn the idle screw to.. ( measurement??) .. could that be the reason why it wont start??? or am i missing sometime...???