O.K."GEEK's" Fer HELP,NOW TYPE OF INTERNET CHOICES To house ?

O.K."GEEK's" Fer HELP,NOW TYPE OF INTERNET CHOICES To house ?

Going to need any info for another TYPE computer,I know nothing about note pads,lap tops and how it's done with a cell phone(by the way I've never text).And probably most important the least amount of dollars,Nothing using credit (bankruptcy in the works) Soon I'll be off here till I get set up again at my house in Aurora,Mo.,ANY web sights or ideas are appreciated. piute

   See's you use that "Blk.Berry" thingy heard but know nothing,
 I just started using these in 2008 to help find a job were I had never been.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

seestheday
Are you looking to buy a new computer?

Btw, I work for blackberry.  Ok that is enough about my personal life, on to solving your issue
1981 CB750K with 900 cams
90K KM's, rebuilt head, rebuilt carbs, upgraded valve stem seals

My wife's recipe website that I'm trying to help promote: Strawberries for supper. Yes, I am a lucky man.

My cb750 video site

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

motogrady
Administrator

I got a small laptop for Christmas. I  think less than 200 bucks.
Windows 8, wifi, no mouse, took a few weeks but I'm
just now getting the hang of it.

I wanna be able to post pics from my camera, on the fly, from a McDonalds,
or an open field back in the woods.

But, with texting and a cell phone, some guys do it that way.
I know if I hit the wrong button, mine will go online, and cost me 50cents.
And that's just a Trackphone from The Dollar Store.  Phone and the first120 minutes, less than 40 bucks.

And if there's a public Library by the new man cave, they usually have computers for use for free.

Do something guy, yer a big part of this board, and a big reason I for one come here.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

free2ride
stay away from "netbooks". small, cheap . . . and frustratingly slow.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

free2ride
seestheday wrote
Btw, I work for blackberry.
can you get me a deal on an X10 . . . if they ever come out?
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

motogrady wrote
I got a small laptop for Christmas. I  think less than 200 bucks.
Windows 8, wifi, no mouse, took a few weeks but I'm
just now getting the hang of it.

I wanna be able to post pics from my camera, on the fly, from a McDonalds,
or an open field back in the woods.

But, with texting and a cell phone, some guys do it that way.
I know if I hit the wrong button, mine will go online, and cost me 50cents.
And that's just a Trackphone from The Dollar Store.  Phone and the first120 minutes, less than 40 bucks.

And if there's a public Library by the new man cave, they usually have computers for use for free.

Do something guy, yer a big part of this board, and a big reason I for one come here.
    Yeah the Library was my thought (were ever it is), What brand LapTop you have ,There are so many real cheap one's on Flea-Bay,But cheap is "HOW CHEAP" Ya-NoStill have my Wisconsin Trac Phone bought in "05" right after I picked up my new H.D. came in handy damb thing broke down a few times,But went to Verizon here for local area and they wont a bigg azz deposit to give me a nice phone with web and lil key board(slides out from behind)
    Wal-Mart carrys there own brand and there's a few(2)other's that I'm going to look into,
   Have to do the Monthly thing I'm sure ,This is just till I get back on my feet ,Moving is costing me (deposits & fee's)I need chairs and everything else ,Have a big fold out table Going to make a bunch of thing Fo Sho,
                                 STILL NEEDING IDEA's TANKS

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

Johnnylevi
hey puite I have a computer and a small netbook I'm not using... you want one of em? I'll have to check on the netbook cause its my aunts but the computers mine. You can have it.
1981 SS with Kerker 4-1 exhaust and extremely attractive rider.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

For phone I use "Straight Talk" $30.00 a month for 1,000 minutes.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

MarkPBG
If you're just looking to browse the Internet, and do some online shopping (window shopping or actual buying) you won't need much of a computer. Just make sure you get one of the latest gen chipsets so it won't be obsolete after the next one or two software updates. I'd say no more than $300 (on sale) with a monitor for those purposes. Don't let the salemen talk you into some super powerful computer, unless you're gaming or editing large video and photo files, you simply will not need that much processing power. Something with a dual core or quad core AMD, or an Intel i3 or i5 machine will do. No need to spring for the top of the line AMD quad core, the upcoming 6 and 8 core machines, or the Intel i7's. It's just not needed for web surfing and email. Heck, I use a cheap Mac mini with 16GB RAM to run Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Painter 12, and edit 40-60 layer images that run over 250MB per file. It's only a dual core i7 (next years model has a quad core i7). It does just fine. Good luck!

(something like this would do nicely....in my opinion....AMD dual core desktop system with 20" monitor
Mark Davis
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

I picked up my Compaq laptop from walmart for $225 on sale.It does just fine for what I do. Though it has been a bit slow lately I score free internet access from my cell phone (wifi hotspot)which runs me $30/month unlimited everything. Minutes,texts/pics and wifi hotspot. We have a commercial acooun on our phones through the business so it's cheap.

Around here we have a place called Cash Converters. It's like a big shot pawn shop. I see nice,used laptops in there all the time for $100-150. Since it's not your typical shady type of pawn shop you actually get a warranty with what you buy when it's electronics. You might just ask around,too. When Crys needed a new laptop I couldn't find any real good deals at the time and bought one of an old racing buddy for $50 that he wasn't using anymore.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

Piute
There's are a few used / rebuild places around here problem there is I don't know what I'm looking at or speak the lingo Ya-No .
   Straight Talk,Is one I seen at Wally World and may end up going that way ,My phone doesn't even have weather on it,I see I can get the web for more $$$,But Lll phone makes it hard to see pictures I have taken (storm would be harder). Need that option fo sho.

    PBG
   ""16GB RAM to run Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Painter 12, and edit 40-60 layer images that run over 250MB per file. It's only a dual core i7 (next years model has a quad core i7). It does just fine. Good luck  Think I need A P.H.D. or basic 101 for bone-heads.
   levi P.M. sent,  TANKS to all just made it more confusing I THINK

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

16GB of RAM!?!?!  lol    I have 2! And it does fine.

Actually,Hellbilly (once again) fixed my computer via text messages today. This thing flying now!

Hellbilly,you rock bro. I really can't say it enough

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

free2ride
This post was updated on .
shinyribs wrote
16GB of RAM!?!?!  lol    I have 2! And it does fine
to be honest, the more RAM the better . . . but you're right: 16???

on a special build I have 8, was going to put in 16 but was told I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.* but going from 4 on my older computer to 8 is a marked difference.

* of course, if you're gaming that's another thing altogether.

I remember the days when people looked at me for getting a "super computer": 512k RAM and get this: a 20 meg hard drive. "20 megs!", they said, "you'll never fill that up!".

Remember this?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston S. Churchill

Most motorcyclists live more in five minutes than other people do in their entire lives.

when you mix religion with politics you get politics

people say I'm condescending (that means I talk down to people)

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

shultz_1978
If you get anything used , stay away from XP and older windows systems as they will not be the supported systems of choice much longer. try to get windows 7 or 8. On the ram 2-3 gigs is all you will realy use. ( You don't make movies and run a lot of windows open at the same time.

I think the  i5 and i7 are some of the best processers out. Try to stay over a 2.8 mhz daul or quad core 64bit system  and you should be good to go with just about anything you want to do with a pc.

As for a hard drive. Most people will never use up a 150-200 gig If so you save to much stuff and your system will be ssssllloooww.

Just my thoughts but a system like this should last you a long time. The internet will out grow you befor you out grow the system.

I went alittle over on mine Running a 3.0 / 3.0 quad with 6 gm ram with a 450gig hard drive. I can have like 7 pages open playing youtube, looking for parts Dime city, cycleX, ext and reading on here and not mis a beat.

Don't jump at the first on Shop Shop Shop
Simple if some one else can, why can't I
Jamie

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

I have 4 736cc Hondamatics, and one 736cc K, with a KZ1000 P-14 1000cc for back up.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

shultz_1978 wrote
[...]

    Some good info,I'm learning this thing is full and sllllooooooow is a XP but was what I had to use,A guy at work said something about Google Chrome is whats best and what he used,I've seen the adds but SO means nothing unless you understand ,gig,gm,quad,begaining to ,The Adobe is what made me slow cause of what was saved is my guess( i got rid of most all)Stoped using Adobe till I understand the load better and will on next unit.

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

Google Chrome SUCKS!!!!
Firefox ROCKS!!!!!

amateur photographer, hot rodder, motorcyclist, adventurer
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

Hoko
I've heard Chrome is fast but I don't know about how secure it is.  I really like Firefox since I switched from Explorer.  Explorer is targeted by every hacker in the world.
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX

Re: O.K. were not GEEK's but need computer HELP

Hoko
MarkPBG wrote
  Heck, I use a cheap Mac mini with 16GB RAM to run Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, Painter 12, and edit 40-60 layer images that run over 250MB per file. It's only a dual core i7 (next years model has a quad core i7). It does just fine. Good luck!

I was checking photoshop prices the other day ( one of them was $1,800 ) I didn't expect to find 4-5 different ones.  How do you know which one you need?
78 CB750F3 Super Sport
Austin, TX
123