Oil spills and gas leaks

Gedward
Two questions for a 76 cb7504 1) I have oil dripping from the hose that runs from the top of the engine and ends by the back tire, any idea why this would be happening?  I checked the oil and it's not over filled, in fact it could use a quart. 2) I wouldn't believe this myself if I hadn't seen it with my own 2 eyes but gas just squirted out of the carb over flow tube. The bike has been sitting over night after only a short ride yesterday. I figured it might be a stuck float so I beat on the carbs w a screw driver to pop them loose, but am I barking up the wrong tree. Thoughts?

Re: Oil spills and gas leaks

Not familiar with the oil plumbing on the SOHC engines, but with regards to the gasoline issue, have you gone through the carbs and floats to clean/rebuild them?  If not, the easiest 'fix' might be to add 1 oz. of SeaFoam to the full gas tank [should read, "1 oz. of SeaFoam per gallon of gasoline"], run it for 10+ miles, then let it sit overnight, and try it again.  The SeaFoam will dissolve varnish deposits in the fuel system.  By running it for a while, you circulate the SeaFoam'ed gasoline throughout the system (including the carbs); by letting it sit overnight, you give it time to dissolve the deposits.

I would also recommend you use SeaFoam in the crankcase, once, to remove carbon sludge from within the engine, and the transmission.  Add 1-1/2 oz. of SeaFoam per quart of oil.  I ran my bike on the centerstand for five minutes, shifting through all five gears while idling, to flush out the transmission.  My oil went from caramel color, to coal black, within that short time.  Then I changed the oil, and the filter (traps a lot of the carbon sludge freed up).  Repeated it 5,000 miles later, and the oil never changed colors (no sludge to dissolve); changed the oil after 120 miles, just to be safe, as the SeaFoam does thin the oil a bit.  Did this on my two cars, and my truck, also.  No issues, even after 30,000+ miles on the four-wheeler's since the clean out's.  Safe, effective, and worth the time and money, IMO.

If SeaFoam in the gas tank doesn't work, then you will need to disassmble the floats, and/or carbs, possibly replacing parts.  Best of luck!  Cheers!

Re: Oil spills and gas leaks

Have, you run a compression check? Sound like the rings are bad. This would create a lot of blow by causing the oil to blow out the breather.

Re: Oil spills and gas leaks

Gedward
There is a very good chance that's the problem. I haven't done a compression check but it makes sense. Thanks.

Re: Oil spills and gas leaks

Gedward
The funny thing is I've added sea foam to both the gas and oil (pre and post) oil change. Even so I can do it again and see what happens it wouldn't hurt. At this point though I'm just waiting for some cold weather to take it all apart and rebuild the whole thing.

Re: Oil spills and gas leaks

That is a great thing to do while it is cold. Get a good heavy Coffey table. Put in front of the TV. Throw the engine on it, and rebuild it while watching Jerry Springer.