Opinions about XR 650 L

I'm really itching for a dual sport. I've been looking at all brands, models and sizes. Since this will need to handle two up with luggage + highway I don't see any reason getting anything other than a 600-650cc.

I looked at KLR's. Super low to the ground, but tons of power. Well, highway power. Rumor has it the Honda and the Suzuki are the two with bottom end grunt.

DR's are definitely more dirt biased than the Kawasaki, but the seat is so hard and narrow that I can't see logging many miles in comfort as a reality on that bike.

The XR is tall with a 36-37" seat height, but it's also got 13" of ground clearance. Looking online everyone seems to agree that the Honda is by far the most dirt worthy of them all, which is very important to me. But I do need the ability to cruise at 65-70 mph for at least semi-extended periods of time. Say, 25-50 miles.

Even though the XR looks very outdated it is rocking cartridge forks and fully adjustable suspension, front and rear. The more modern looking DR has damper rods and only compression adjustability out back. So the old fashioned looking XR has a leg up in the suspension department.

Of the three ( XR, DR, KLR) I really only have interest in the Honda and the Suzuki. Im wanting a full on dirt bike that can live on the highway, and the KLR is basically just a highway bike.

The Suzuki is bragged on to have more power and a better spaced gearbox ( pretty typical in any Honda vs. Suzuki debate). I can get an aftermarket seat for a DR, but why spend that money when the XR already has a nice seat?

Fuel capacity is pretty equal between the XR and the DR. Both pitiful with about an 80 mile range. But the aftermarket has some really nice extended range tanks for both bikes. So that's a wash.

So basically, forget the Kawasaki. Not really interested. Suzuki has a tad more power, but the suspension is not up to par with the Honda. For less than $200 the XR can be de-smogged, de-epa leaned out and will run with the DR. So that washes out in the end as well.

So who has experience with an XR L? Any quirks, reliability concerns, electrical issues, etc. that I should know about?

I tried to not be brand biased in this decision but, even though it's considered kinda antiquated, the Honda just keeps looking like the better choice for the money and my wants.

Any and all opinions welcome!

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

I know a guy that has made 3 motorcycle trips to South America, and he only uses the KLR 650. I also have another friend that has had 2 of them, and swears by them. One of the best things about them is, they still use a carburetor that could be cleaned/rebuilt in the middle of the Andes Mountains with a Buck knife and a crescent wrench. So I would recommend the KLR!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

My first thought when I considered a DS was the KLR. They've definitely got the reputation of getting the job done. What surprised me, when I started reading and researching more, is that almost everyone agrees that they are great road bikes (highway, fire trails, rough dirt/gravel roads), but not great dirt bikes. For long distance highway runs I'll always have a CB. Job 1 that I want my DS to do is dirt, street is secondary. Honestly, I just  want it to be street legal so I don't have to trailer it to where I want to go. Mainly, because there are so many things to explore between Point A and Point B, I dont want to have a bike tethered to a trailer.

In all fairness, the KLR is awesome. It's got more fuel capacity in stock trim than the XR or DR even has available aftermarket. That's a huge plus. And we all know it's something that you can ride on ALL day in complete comfort. I do prefer the fact the the XR and the DR are both air cooled. I like simple.

Hopefully I can start throwing a leg over some of the bikes soon and decide which on will do what I want best. But to be honest, sitting on the KLR it seemed a little cramped. The XR and DR felt comfy. But only a true ride can tel you what's what.

Speaking of aftermarket tanks. ALL of the extended range tanks are plastic. Which is fine by me, but I know DS bikes must be built with a steel tank in order to be road legal. That makes me wonder if swapping to a plastic tank would cause any issues come inspection time.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

Inspection time? You have that? They don't inspect anything in ND, ever. It shows in the rust buckets that drive around, too.

When it comes to dirt, suspension is top priority. Just no bones about it. If you have a crappy suspension, you won't go off-road as it will suck too much.

Also, the xr uses a carb as well. 42.5 mm cv carb. And this is with the 2015 model. I would guess the other years do too.

Maybe read this for more info: http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/top-10-adventure-bikes-for-new-adventure-riders/10/

Yes, it is on the honda right now, but should cover your 3 ideas and then some.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

Truck
I don't have any experience with any of these bikes, but I will say as someone who grew up in the country and spent a lot of time on dirt bikes that suspension is your friend. Tire travel can make the difference of going over/through an obstacle or getting dragged out.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

If at first you don't succeed, use more lighter fluid

95% of Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... The other 5% made it home.

New Baltimore, Va '82 CB900c, 1980 CB985F/K 'Mutt"

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

I agree with the remarks about suspension. I actually expected the Suzuki to be superior in that department, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out the the XR was actually better!

The Honda is the only one of the three with an 18" rear tire, too. Height is always your friend when it comes to logs and ruts. :)

Rerun, thanks for the link. The more info the better!

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

Geez, how'd I miss this? The DR has usd forks. Lay it down on the trail, scratch a stanchion,  puke all your oil out...trip over. And now you get to buy a new stanchion. No, thanks. USD's are great for stadium bikes, track bikes and street bikes. But that seems like an awfully fragile thing to rock on the front of a dirt bike.

I know what the sliders looked like on my old dirt bikes after I sold them. They weren't pretty, but they were still working.

So that pretty much puts my radar on XR's or first gen KLR's. More research to do.

Stopped by the dealership and sat on a brand new KLR. Comfy bike fo sho. Definitely softly spring and definitely heavy! Felt like hefting a single cam off its side stand. But it's all a moot point anyway. The new KLR has a massive, plastic sport bike fairing on the front now. One low hanging tree limb and that sucker would be toast. And they don't offer a standard, non-gussied up version. Atta boy, Kawasaki. Way to make a KLR a pure 100% road bike. Might as well ditch the knobbies.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

1st gen KLR Much better then the newer ones.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

TOOLS1 wrote
1st gen KLR Much better then the newer ones.
TOOLS
Definitely! Really, they're not even comparable IMO.

Just updated that post I just put up. Not impress with a new KLR at all. Not even a little.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

Seems a lot of bikes that did good, seem to get make overs that end up reducing their usefulness. Usually because some people buy them and then gripe that it doesn't do 1 thing well enough. In this case, on road. Why get a dirt bike style and then bitch about its on road performance? Makes no sense but that is what happens.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

^^^ This man gets it.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

Just like Pontiac did with the 73-74 GTO.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

The de-evolution of the Goat was bad. But nearly as bad as the Thunderbird.

Also found out, the DR only got USD's in the past few years. Happy to know the used market is gonna be mostly USD-free.

Re: Opinions about XR 650 L

I think the FDA should ban USDs along with MSGs, and other modified food products.