Parts cleaning

I was just thinking about this the other day, since I have a lot of parts to clean right now, and spray carb cleaner would get very expensive. And someone also asked about it in another thread. Back in the good old days, I used to use "Naphtha" a clear white gas. It was the best parts cleaner ever. However now if, you could even find it, it would probably be $20.00 a gallon.
I did some research on solvents, and have found that "Mineral Spirits" seems to be the best thing going today. It seems that most commercial parts cleaning is done with a dyed mineral spirits "Safety Clean dyes theirs green." Mineral Spirits can be purchased at any hardware store, or paint store. And is not very expensive.

Re: Parts cleaning

Jefe06
Thx for the info tools.  I will be needing a good amount of parts cleaner in the near future and I have heard that mineral spirits is good.  I've also been told that diesel fuel does the trick pretty well, especially with de-gunking carbs.  At less than $4 a gal right now, that maybe a good alternative.  let me know what you end up using and how it does.
Orlando, FL
1981 CB750C - rebuild and cafe mods in progress

Let's kick the tires and light the fires!

Re: Parts cleaning

Is it safe for rubber and plastic bits?  Inquiring minds want to know...  Thanks for the head's up.  Cheers!

Re: Parts cleaning

lostson
 I have been using carb cleaner and such but have just put together a tub cleaning setup i built, I will have to try this out thanks TOOLS.

Re: Parts cleaning

Sarg. It should be safe, for just about anything. Mineral Spirits is pretty mild, for a solvent.

Re: Parts cleaning

sgtslag
Now I am really interested...  Can we put whole carb assemblies in a bath of mineral spirits, and not have to pull them apart?  I would imagine we could then apply compressed air to the fuel intake on the carbs, and push air through the jets to be certain they're open?  It has potential.  Cheers!

Re: Parts cleaning

   At the shop here we use Kerosene,If lots of cleaning is needed.
          Art N Craft stores sell low oder  mineral Spirits
                     Use to clean my oil paint brushes and there / some 15+yrs old

Re: Parts cleaning

sgtslag
I remember hearing about older mechanics adding kerosene to engine oil to scrub the engine clean, inside -- a poor man's version of SeaFoam, basically.  I was warned not to leave it in there for more than a few minutes, though, as it would wash the oil off the cylinder walls.  It's all coming together.  Thanks, Gentlemen!  Cheers!

Re: Parts cleaning

Sarge,ATF is a good substitute for kero in the scenario you are referring to. Cleans good without the cylinder wash effect. We use it to clean the inevitable rusty bores in the drag motors after winter storage. 9 qt pan:use 8 qt of motor oil and 1 qt ATF.Bring up to temp,then drain. No filter change,just the oil. On the stock pans that only hold 5 qt we do 4 1/2 qt oil and 1/2 qt ATF.

Re: Parts cleaning

robs750
Some guys on the other site are soaking the carbs in Pinesol to clean them.They say it works great on aluminum alloy.

I was going to to clean mine in Berrymans carb dip but the stuff is almost $30 for the gallon can!

Re: Parts cleaning

Lucky 1
You can gets parts cleaner from Safe T Clean company and they recycle your dirty fluid for you too.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Parts cleaning

robs750
[QUOTE]You can gets parts cleaner from Safe T Clean company and they recycle your dirty fluid for you too. [QUOTE]

This could be costly for the home mechanic.I think you have to set up a service agreement.
Also when you go to their online store,you can not select solvents/chemicals.

Re: Parts cleaning

rrgunslinger
Get one of these then go to you local parts store and be the cleaning fluid.

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/parts-washers.html

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM, robs750 [via Honda CB750'S] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[QUOTE]You can gets parts cleaner from Safe T Clean company and they recycle your dirty fluid for you too. [QUOTE]

This could be costly for the home mechanic.I think you have to set up a service agreement.
Also when you go to their online store,you can not select solvents/chemicals.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Parts-cleaning-tp4023740p4024172.html
To start a new topic under Honda CB750'S, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Honda CB750'S, click here.
NAML

American by birth. Cowboy by choice! Vero Beach, FL http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo172/grandpaslinger/HD%20Road%20Glide/IMAG0046.jpg

Re: Parts cleaning

zer213
Mineral spirits is pretty awesome stuff for degunking. Works great at getting cosmoline off of rifles too!

Re: Parts cleaning

zer213 wrote
Mineral spirits is pretty awesome stuff for degunking. Works great at getting cosmoline off of rifles too!
Now that's some good info there. I hate trying to get that crap out of the bolts on those WWII surplus rifles.

Re: Parts cleaning

zer213
Yupyup, my AK was packed with that nasty stuff. Soaked it overnight in an under-the-bed tote with a can of low-odor mineral spirits added to it. Next day it was clean and ready to go, minus gun oil.

Re: Parts cleaning

Hoosier Daddy
 Back in the '80s I worked at the local (small town) Chevy Dealership that was so "Low Tech" our parts washer was an old bathtub and a 55g drum of mineral spirits and a hand pump. At the end of the day on Friday's you pulled the plug and drained the old, then on Monday morning pumped fresh in.
81 Honda CB750C - Current Project
67 BSA Spitfire MkIII - Next Up (Full Resto)
81 Honda GL1100 - Bob / Cafe´
80 Suzuki GS750L - Bratstyle
72 Honda CB450K5 - Basket Case
73 Honda CB350F Cafe' (Gone but not forgotten)

Don't wait for opportunity to knock... kick the door down and drag the old harlot in!