Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
I've just finished building a 74K SOHC engine and I have 8 small rubber parts left over from the gasket and seal kit.  Does anyone know what they are?  Are they important?  I don't remember removing anything like this.  I've attached a photo.  They are black rubber cylinders with an internal schamfer on both ends.  They are 0.3125" (3/16") in length and 0.5625" (9/16") outside diameter.  Any help very much appreciated.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Bad news. You are going to have to take that shiny engine apart. Those are the gaskets that go on the cylinder/head bolts between the cylinder, and head. Part No#2 on this diagram.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
Tools, thanks.  Thats what I thought you were going to say.  The odd thing is, I'm sure there were none in there when I dismantled it.

At least they go between the head and the barrels and not under the barrels.  Not too big of a deal.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

cityslicker
OH SNAP... maybe his old ones never came out and that's why he doesn't remember removing them. Thus he may be good to go???

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
Do they push up into the head?

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

They go down into the cylinder.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
Thanks again.  Do all the engines have them because I'm struggling to think how I could have missed them on disassembly.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

They are supposed to have them. however it is not uncommon, for them to have been left out during a rebuild.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
Do you thinkmit matters much if they get leftnout?  To be honest, I'm struggling a bit to see what they do that cannot be done by the gasket.  I suspect a design fault was discovered (on the early sand cast version) and this was an easy fix.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

They keep oil from running down the studs, and weeping out between the fins.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
Tools, I have complete respect for your knowledge of these bikes that goes way beyond my own but I've removed the head and there's no where for the seals to go. I also have two manuals and neither of them show the seals.  However, i went into a Honda dealer last night and they said all engines have them. Help

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

I will try to come up with a better picture, or something later today. Pretty busy this morning.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
I think I may have solved the mystery.  According to the large manual in the manuals section, the rubber seals were not introduced untill engine number 2352923.  I don't know what my engine number is right now but its a K4.  K4 engine numbers commenced 2300001.  K5 engine nubers commenced 2372115 so it looks as though it was a mod that was introduced part way through the K4 series.  Maybe my engine is a pre-mod one and hence does not require the seals.  i will put my shiny cylinder head back on tonight!

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

That's interesting. I just checked a parts fisch, for a K-3, and it also shows them.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
Yes, and the parts guy at the Honda dealership in pittsburgh last night said that as far as he could see they were on all models, and he was looking at the fische on his computer.  As I said before though, I cannot find anywhere that they could go on my cylinder block.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

cityslicker
Have you run the engine since you got it put together?

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
No.  I've got someone coming to help me get it back in the frame (just back from powder coating - great job) on Sunday then I'm going to get the forks and wheels in with a minimal wiring job and see if I can run it up.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Lucky 1
Why be in such a rush.
On a Roadstar Adventure.

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

donald branscom wrote
Why be in such a rush.
TO RIDE!!!   Its hard not to rush one together when you're dying to ride,but you DO have to pay attention to details where it counts.I think Peter's got this one handled

Re: Parts left over - does anyone know what these are?

Peterwh
No rush but I'd rather find I need to remove the engine while it's relatively easy to do than when I've got the whole bike assembled. Let's say it's an insurance policy