Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

blk72750
Im getting ready to replace the transmission, or at the very least the third gear. Im thinking of just doing the whole transmission depending on cost. Im looking at Cycle x race cut gears 2-4. It says they are under cut(not exactly sure what that means) but it sounds good. I won't be racing just wanna get this bike up to speed quicker. So i figure why not go for it. but what the hell do I know.

peep the link

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Engine%20Parts%20Lower%20End.htm

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

Undercutting refers to the dogs.  The dogs are ears on the gears that are used to engage them, not the actual working surfaces. With age the dog, which are originally nice, square ears, round off at the edges and allow the gear to pop out. Undercutting is when those ears are not just returned to nice, square edges but they go one further and put a bevel on them causing them to actually interlock. Hope this helps :)

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

blk72750
Thanks ribs, have you ever done any business with cycle exchange.

On Nov 19, 2012, at 5:34 PM, "shinyribs [via Honda CB750'S]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Undercutting refers to the dogs.  The dogs are ears on the gears that are used to engage them, not the actual working surfaces. With age the dog, which are originally nice, square ears, round off at the edges and allow the gear to pop out. Undercutting is when those ears are not just returned to nice, square edges but they go one further and put a bevel on them causing them to actually interlock. Hope this helps :)
Montvale,Virginia
 Piute said it best:  "wheres my 10mm?"
Hellbilly-"that is a great way to tell if you have come to your senses, when you start drilling random holes in things... "

LukeM-"Scooters rock, especially when they're in posse formation. "

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives. ~ Abba Eban

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/Race-Cut-Transmission-Why-or-Why-Not-tp4032361p4032369.html
To unsubscribe from Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?, click here.
NAML

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

I don't know about Shiny, but I have done a lot of business with Cycle-X. They are great!! They will even answer somewhat stupid questions over the phone.

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

blk72750
Thats good because Im full of dumb questions. They'll wonder if I even ride by the time they get off the phone with me. The got some cool stuff on their site. Now Im wanting to upgrade the engine to the 849cc. Have you ever done any engine boring or havie it done?

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

Nope.No personal experience here. I'm too cheap to hire anything done

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

Lakebum
Hey Guys, new to this site. Haven't messed with my 750 in awhile but it is a 890 cc drag bike that has run 10.20's in the day. Had quite a few trannys cut and if you have alot of power a stock tranny will kick out of 2nd gear. Steve

Re: Race Cut Transmission, Why? or Why Not?

blk72750
Thanks Steve, Ive also been thinking of going to 849cc while I have the engine torn apart depending on the cost. About how much you think would run to get to the 849 from the stock engine?